Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday- "Burning Paradise" by Robert Charles Wilson

Waiting on Wednesday is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at to Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming books.

This week's WoW selection is:

Burning Paradise by Robert Charles Wilson
Publisher: Tor
Date: November 5, 2013
Pages: 320

Cassie Klyne, nineteen years old, lives in the United States in the year 2015—but it’s not our United States, and it’s not our 2015.

Cassie’s world has been at peace since the Great Armistice of 1918. There was no World War II, no Great Depression. Poverty is declining, prosperity is increasing everywhere; social instability is rare. But Cassie knows the world isn’t what it seems. Her parents were part of a group who gradually discovered the awful truth: that for decades—back to the dawn of radio communications—human progress has been interfered with, made more peaceful and benign, by an extraterrestrial entity. That by interfering with our communications, this entity has tweaked history in massive and subtle ways. That humanity is, for purposes unknown, being farmed.

Cassie’s parents were killed for this knowledge, along with most of the other members of their group. Since then, the survivors have scattered and gone into hiding. Cassie and her younger brother Thomas now live with her aunt Nerissa, who shares these dangerous secrets. Others live nearby. For eight years they have attempted to lead unexceptional lives in order to escape detection. The tactic has worked.

Until now. Because the killers are back. And they’re not human.


I don't read a lot of actual sci-fi (I'm more of a fantasy fan) but every once in a while a premise catches my attention- and "Burning Paradise" definitely fits that category. There's something in this Matrix/alien-invasion hybrid that sounds really good. And, having read Robert Charles Wilson before ("Julian Comstock") I have high hopes for this one.

13 comments:

June G said...

Hmm...This sounds pretty good. Adding it to my list. Thanks. I love alien stories!

Blodeuedd said...

This sounds really freaky, I like it

Jessica Chiles said...

OOOH I love it! This is exactly the kind of book I like and I haven't actually heard of it yet. Thanks!

Here's my WoW.

Stop by my giveaway if you have a moment!

Jess @ Such A Novel Idea

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I haven't read a sci-fi book in a while so I might give this one a try. Like you I'm more of a fantasy reader :) I hope you'll enjoy this one :)

Our WOW post

Primrose Musings said...

Wow what a great pick! I love your blog. I'm a big fan of fantasy too. :)

Katie Cohen said...

Sounds like a really interesting book! I love fantasy.
here's mine: http://the-quiet-girl-talks.blogspot.com/2013/08/waiting-on-wednesday-3.html

speculatef said...

This sounds great, what an awesome premise! Thanks for sharing :D

Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic
Check out what I'm waiting on!

Belle Read said...

I don't come across many alien books. This one has an interesting synopsis. Let's hear it for world stability. Might have to read this one just to find out out that happens.

Olena P said...

I haven't seen this one yet but it sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

My WOW: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/waiting-on-wednesday-racing-savannah/

Rebecca Lockhart said...

What??? This sounds so good!!! Adding to my TBR list right now. Thanks for getting this one on my radar!

My WoW

Rebecca @ The Library Canary

SQT said...

@Olena- I've been trying to leave a comment at you blog but I can't login. I remember having the same problem the last time I tried. Your blog won't accept any login method (twitter, FB or Google).

Bookish said...

Oh wow, I love the sound of this one - hadn't heard of it before but it's definitely going on the wishlist!

My WoW!

Tribute Books Mama said...

An intriguing choice.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/waiting-on-wednesdy.html