Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday-- "Charming" by Elliott James

Waiting on Wednesday is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books.

This week's WoW selection is:

Charming (Pax Arcana) by Elliott James
Publisher: Orbit
Date: September 23, 2013
Pages: 400

John Charming isn't your average Prince...

He comes from a line of Charmings — an illustrious family of dragon slayers, witch-finders and killers dating back to before the fall of Rome. Trained by a modern day version of the Knights Templar, monster hunters who have updated their methods from chainmail and crossbows to kevlar and shotguns, he was one of the best. That is — until he became the abomination the Knights were sworn to hunt.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, he tends bar under an assumed name in rural Virginia and leads a peaceful, quiet life. One that shouldn't change just because a vampire and a blonde walked into his bar... Right?

I love any kind of modern take on fairy-tale characters. Not every book of this kind lives up to its promise but "Charming" definitely has potential.


June G said...

Ooh...Nice cover. Dragons are in these days! It's also nice to see a guy front and center. Thanks.

Kimberly said...

I just heard about this book from another WOW post and I'll definitely be getting it. Great pick!

Here's my WOW Pick.

Wit and Sin

Alise (Readers In Wonderland) said...

I also just came across this one, it sounds really good and I love books with dragons.

My Waiting on Wednesday

Chris said...

I was able to read this via NetGalley. It was good! I'll leave it at that. Enjoy and I look forward to reading your review on it!

SQT said...

@Chris- Glad to hear it!

Bob Milne said...

Sounds interesting - I'm always up for a good fairy tale retelling. You're right, they don't always work, but when they do, they're usually great.

Here's my WOW for the week.

Michelle Santiago said...

i have not heard of this book before but i like the cover! and the story itself sounds very cool. great pick :)

My WoW


Blodeuedd said...

It does sound cool

Jon Pilgrim said...

This looks awesome! I love Urban Fantasy & retellings so this looks like the perfect book!
Check out Scott Reads It's WoW

Jazmen G said...

Ive never read a book with dragons in the plot. Sounds good to me. I will be adding this on Goodreads.

I'm also now following you :)

Check out MY WOW

Leeanna said...

That sounds awesome! Adding to my TBR list. It reminds me of a cross between Once Upon a Time (TV) and Devil's Kiss by Sarwat Chadda.

Leeanna.me WoW

Krystianna said...

Awesome choice! I've seen this one around quite a lot lately.

Pabkins said...

I'm really hoping this one ends up good! =)