Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming books.

This week's WoW selection is:

Elisha Barber: (Book One of the Dark Apostle) by E.C. Ambrose
Publisher: DAW
Date: July 2, 2013
Pages: 304

England in the fourteenth century: a land of poverty and opulence, prayer and plague…witchcraft and necromancy.

As a child, Elisha witnessed the burning of a witch outside of London, and saw her transformed into an angel at the moment of her death, though all around him denied this vision. He swore that the next time he might have the chance to bind an angel’s wounds, he would be ready. And so he became a barber surgeon, at the lowest ranks of the medical profession, following the only healer’s path available to a peasant’s son.

Elisha Barber is good at his work, but skill alone cannot protect him. In a single catastrophic day, Elisha’s attempt to deliver his brother’s child leaves his family ruined, and Elisha himself accused of murder. Then a haughty physician offers him a way out: come serve as a battle surgeon in an unjust war.

Between tending to the wounded soldiers and protecting them from the physicians’ experiments, Elisha works night and day. Even so, he soon discovers that he has an affinity for magic, drawn into the world of sorcery by Brigit, a beautiful young witch…who reminds him uncannily of the angel he saw burn.

In the crucible of combat, utterly at the mercy of his capricious superiors, Elisha must attempt to unravel conspiracies both magical and mundane, as well as come to terms with his own disturbing new abilities. But the only things more dangerous than the questions he’s asking are the answers he may reveal.

I almost missed this book in my search for this week's WoW title because of it's unconventional title. But it sounds like a terrific fantasy in the grimdark mold. This one comes out in less than a month and I'm pretty sure I'll be picking it up. 


Blodeuedd said...

He just has such a girly name

Natasha Parker said...

I agree with with Blodeuedd. His name is so girly. Actually isn't it a girl's name? Any way. Apart from the name distracting me and the book title putting me off. It does sound like a good read, but I might wait for the reviews first, then decided if its worthy of my reading wishlist :D So thank you for sharing :)

I'm a new follower and this is my Waiting on Wednesday post ---> http://goo.gl/xELQS

SQT said...

Yeah- I'm curious about the name myself. I'm not sue it's a great name for a title, but the synopsis does sound good.

Bob Milne said...

Sounds like an interesting read. The cover didn't really grab me at first, but looking at it again, I can see the detail.

Here's my WOW for the week.

Eveline V said...

Sounds like an interesting name! I agree that his name is quite girly:)

My WoW;

Tribute Books Mama said...

Sounds like an exciting read.


Liss said...

Seems like a good book but I am with everyone else that name is really off putting. I had to read it again just to make sure they were talking about a guy. Still a book that I will look into when it comes out. Thanks for sharing =)
My WoW

Krystianna said...

This is the first that I've heard of this book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian