Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Day In the Life: Sci-Fi and Fantasy in my Day to Day Life


I thought I'd take a moment and reflect on the status of my life as regards to Fantasy and Sci-Fi.  Between moods, convenience, and the pacing of what I'm reading, I tend to have multiple projects going on at once.  I've gone over a week without finishing a book for the first time since I got my new job, which is making me feel restless.  Not to mention I have the two newest Ender universe books sitting right next to me, staring at me, boring into my soul.  This is the part where I would invite you to my Goodreads profile, if it weren't experiencing technical difficulties right now.

Shianshenka: The Rise and Fall of the Perfect Creation.  This book is by Norwegian author Rowen Sivertsen.  I didn't know what to expect reading this, and to an extent I still don't.  The story tells how culture sprang up on a world and eventually decays, which means that it starts off slow and builds up as civilization is born.  The first few pages of this book I went by about a page a week; I'm now reading 15 pages a day on most days and I expect that number to keep increasing.  Interestingly enough, for a book that starts off with a human populating a world with man-made organic species, there doesn't seem to be any sort of "playing God" message, which might be a first (and might be a result of reading a book that's not from a country I'm used to reading from).  I'm on Page 52 so far
 
Crisis on Infinite Earths.  I've actually finished this maxiseries, but upon reading it I realized that a single article will not do this series any good.  I'm working on a series of 12 articles about this story, which I may post on Fantasy & SciFi Lovin' when an opening comes up.

Blackest Night: Rise of the Black Lanterns.  I'm really enjoying this comic, although its nature of being a series of one-shots is causing me to read one story at a time when I return to it.  The pages aren't numbered, but I'm five stories in.  This is exactly what I had hoped Black Lantern Corps would be and it may be my favorite Blackest Night spin-off.  I enjoy this series, and this book is probably the best example of why.
Dragonball Omnibus Vol 2.  This collects Volumes 4-6 of Dragonball, and it's actually very frustrating for me because my local library keeps claiming that Volume 3 is on shelves and it never is.  I'm just about finished with this, and the only reason I haven't written my articles and returned it is that I'm still keeping up hopes for finding Volume 3 and reading it.  I'm actually now getting past the parts that I read in high school, and I might be at the limits of what my library can sustain, which is unfortunate because I was looking forward to the opportunity to read the whole series in time for the 30th anniversary.

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void.  This book by Tim Lebbon is a tie-in to the comics by Dark Horse Dream Team John Ostrander and Jan Duursema.  While I have doubt that a new (for Star Wars) author is going to hold a candle to the main stories that Ostrander and Duursema are putting out, I do love these "origin of the galaxy" stories, though, so I'll hold off on even that amount of judgment till I get farther in.  This is the shortest hardcover I've ever owned, but as I'm only 16 pages in so far, that doesn't say much in terms of my experiencing the story.

Stephen King: The Stand and The Wind Through the Keyhole.  Neither of these books are in their original format, and there's a reason for that.  When I used to read three books at a time, I used to have one Sci-Fi book, one Stephen King book, and one Star Wars book.  Until I took the comic version of N. out of the library, I hadn't read a Stephen King book since Cell.  His books are damned long is why.  I'm reaching the point where I don't need to pump out books and reviews quickly, and I'm willing to reread books now, which will help when you consider that I've read about half of his library and a public library can only supply so much.  The Stand is a full length comic series retelling the original book, and as far as I can tell so far, it's a literal adaptation.  I'm on Chapter 3 of the 3rd volume (the only one at my library) and believe me, it's bringing back memories.  I still haven't read the Extended version of the book, so this may be the impetus to me finally seeking that out.  
 
As for The Wind through the Keyhole, even when it was released I realized I was going to struggle to get it into my reading schedule.  I love the Dark Tower books, and they're probably the reason I embraced Doctor Who so readily, so I knew I had to read this eventually.  I finally made the decision to take out the audio book from the library, and I'm about a ninth of the way through right now.  Like The Stand, damn, this is bringing back memories.

Pokemon Emerald is something I'm starting to wean myself off of.  This game is insidious is that it's built in such a way that 200 hours in, I feel like I'm not even close to finishing the game.  I'm going to focus on a last few sidequests and finish it up.  After that, I'll probably go back to one of the RPGs I've only put 100 hours into.  The biggest gripe I have about this game is the "aftergame".  In most generations, there are high level dungeons, so that you can achieve aftergame goals with a standard amount of effort.  Here, there's no such dungeon, so level grinding is virtually impossible.

I am at a crossroads in one regard: I've just finished Angel Season 5.  That means that the Buffyverse, which has consumed my Netflix time since the last week of March, is finally done.  Well, unless I buy Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 8, which is a comic, or watch the movie, which isn't entirely canon.  I would recommend both shows, by the way, though all twelve season aren't entirely equal.  But now I need something else to do while I'm reading a comic book, playing a game, or writing articles for you.  Something that I can throw on episode 1 of and watch it straight through.  I'm catching up on some webshows I've been neglecting for various reasons right now, but by the start of June I'll need a new show, preferably something Sci-Fi with multiple seasons on Netflix.  I haven't started looking yet, but I thought I'd bring it up because it's part of my process and something that was part of my day to day up until this week.

There is one ongoing show that I feel is worth bringing up, though.  That's because it's as much a part of my job as watching a movie once a month.  Doctor Who is not going to running weekly, but I do make sure to watch at least one episode a week.  As this article posts, I'll be preparing to discuss the Series 7 (not Season 7, that was four decades ago) finale.  Also, if you missed it, I just watched Star Trek Into Darkness, and reviewed it for this site.

So there's my day to day in Sci-Fi and Fantasy.  I like to keep myself busy, and I like to expose myself to as much of the genre as I can.  Also horror, but the two works I'm reading by a horror author right now are both Fantasy rather than horror, and it's hard to categorize Buffy and Angel as anything other than Fantasy (and Action-Drama).  I have about a dozen Sci-Fi and Fantasy books waiting for me to start them, so I'd like this article to become outdated within a week, but we'll see what happens.

Hope this was at least mildly entertaining for you.  Please, feel free to comment about anything I mentioned here and let me and everybody else know what you think of them.


4 comments:

Bob Milne said...

I'd give the comic continuation of Buffy a wide berth - it got way too silly, way too fast, and barely resembles the TV show at all. The comic continuation of Angel, on the other hand, has been solid, and is well worth the read.

Charles Gramlich said...

Wow. Your cred is impeccable with me. I thought I was a pretty big SF/fantasy geek I bow to your greater, dare I say, geekness. :)

Traci Loudin said...

I vote you check out Lost Girl next. First two seasons are on Netflix. It has the same sort of tv campiness to it, and is an urban fantasy with a female protagonist who's like Buffy in many ways.

Maurice Mitchell said...

I've heard a lot about Crisis, so I'm looking forward to your posts William, and Blackest Night shows just how great a writer Johns is.