Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a blog meme hosted by Jill over atBreaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books.

This week's WoW selection is:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
Publisher: Harper Collins
Date: April 23, 2013
Pages: 496

In The Golem and the Jinni, a chance meeting between mythical beings takes readers on a dazzling journey through cultures in turn-of-the-century New York.

Chava is a golem, a creature made of clay, brought to life to by a disgraced rabbi who dabbles in dark Kabbalistic magic and dies at sea on the voyage from Poland. Chava is unmoored and adrift as the ship arrives in New York harbor in 1899.

Ahmad is a jinni, a being of fire born in the ancient Syrian desert, trapped in an old copper flask, and released in New York City, though still not entirely free.

Ahmad and Chava become unlikely friends and soul mates with a mystical connection. Marvelous and compulsively readable, Helene Wecker's debut novel The Golem and the Jinni weaves strands of Yiddish and Middle Eastern literature, historical fiction and magical fable, into a wondrously inventive and unforgettable tale.

If the early reviews are any indication this is going to be a very good book. I'm intrigued by Wecker's use of Jewish and Arab folklore and I think it'll be a nice change from the current crop of dystopian/vampire/werewolf fiction that seems to be everywhere these days.


Bonnie R said...

I really love the sound of that one and I'm a total sucker for that cover. Great pick!!
My WoW Pick!

Blodeuedd said...

I just saw this one on another site and yup it sounds cool

Toni Lesatz said...

I just saw this somewhere. Netgalley, maybe? Hmm, I can't remember. Sounds excellent. I hope you enjoy it!

My WoW

Dragana Mitrovic said...

I love how this book sounds. I grabbed an eARC from Edelweiss and I will read it soon. Love the use of folklore in story. :)
Check out what I am waiting for this Wednesday...

Martina Koleva said...

I've never heard of this one and though I'm not sure it's for me, I really hope you enjoy reading it when it comes out.
Come check out my WOW post.

Silverlight said...

I just read an excellent review for this over at
Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer
She raved about this book, and has me wondering if I would enjoy it, also.

My Wow

Maria said...

This sounds really good and I love reading books with djinn.

Here's my WoW

Tiffany Drew said...

Hadn't heard of this one yet, looks great though! Definitely adding it to my wish list :)

My WoW

Annabelle Hammond said...

This sounds really good! Thanks for sharing!

My Wow!

Courtney Ann said...

Great choice, this one sounds really interesting.

Courtney Ann @ Rondo of a Possible World
Waiting on Wednesday