Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Blog Tour- Featuring Author Liesel K. Hill

Liesel K Hill's new book, Persistence of Vision, was recently published by Tate Publishing. As part of her blog tour Liesel is stopping here today to talk about her inspiration for her book and how the story sometimes moves beyond an easy definition and genre. 

Science Fiction and Fantasy as Elements

The great thing about science fiction is that sometimes the sci-fi of today is the fact of tomorrow. The Star Trek series was notorious for inspiring inventors, and I truly believe that people are capable of some of the powers I describe in my book, if perhaps not quite so tangibly.

That said, I didn’t set out to write a sci-fi or a fantasy, per se. I just had a story I knew I wanted to write. I didn’t categorize it until later. At first, I called my story a sci-fi, because it takes place in the future with technology our society doesn’t now possess. Then I realized that some hardcore sci-fi fans might take issue with that. It’s definitely not hard science fiction. So, I switched to calling it fantasy.

Eventually I realized what I’d written was a dystopian, so I now call it a dystopian fantasy with elements of sci-fi. That’s a bit of a mouthful, but I think it’s the most accurate description.

As I said, the sci-fi elements include spaceships, superior computers and transportation crafts that are advanced beyond our civilization. Again, I didn’t set out to come up with these things. It was more a matter of a functional need in the story.

The fantasy elements include super-brain powers like Healing and Time Traveling, as well a neurological ties that the collectives use to tie themselves together and super-creepy villains. These elements were more like pillars of the story when I was conceptualizing it.

In reality, my book is a cross-over genre and any book of that kind worth its salt should have a combination of elements from its different hybrid genres, some of which are functional, and others of which are what the story itself is crafted around. 

After all, crafting fantasy and sci-fi worlds is an art. But it’s also a whole lot of fun! ;D



Persistence of Vision

A flash of purple light. A rock formation. Brown boots walking across a room at eye level. Two large hands covering hers. A hand with an ugly black burn on the back. A woman standing in front of a broken lighthouse. Blood on her hands. A whisper of a voice. These are the images that haunt Maggie. 

One afternoon a year ago, Maggie blacked out inexplicably. Now a man with a spiders web tattooed on his eye has attacked her in her home. Things only get more confusing when Marcus, a man she vaguely remembers from her black out, shows up to take her away. Marcus is from the future and is a member of the Brain Chemistry Optimists (BCO). And so is Maggie. 

Her black out was actually a years worth of time she spent in the future, fighting against collectivespeople who have linked their minds together and given up all individuality. The collectives are working to bring down the few individuals left, and Maggie learns that she is supposed to play a crucial role in these efforts. The members of the BCO explain that in battle, her brain was attacked, and she lost all her memories of her time in the future. All she has left are flashes, afterimages, Persistence of Vision. 

Now she must relearn everything about this different world, harness mental powers beyond anyones imagining, and navigate what was once a romance with Marcus. On top of all of that, she begins unraveling the mystery of her lost memory. However, for every answer she finds, it seems that another, more complicated question arises. Will she be able to remember enough to help the BCO?

For more information about Liesel K. Hill you can visit her at the follow links. 

3 comments:

Liesel K Hill said...

Thanks so much for featuring me, Theresa, and for being part of my blog tour! I appreciate it!

SQT said...

You're welcome. :) Best of luck with your new book.

Charles Gramlich said...

Luck to Liesel, for sure. I've always been partial to the SF/Fantasy field so I kind of knew when I first started writing that that is where my early stuff would fall.