Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books.

This week's selection is:

Blood's Pride by Evie Manieri
Publisher: Tor
Date: February 19, 2013
Pages: 529

Rising from their sea-torn ships like vengeful, pale phantoms, the Norlanders laid waste to the Shadar under cover of darkness. They forced the once-peaceful fisher folk into slavery and forged an alliance with their former trading partners, the desert-dwelling Nomas tribe, cutting off any hope of salvation.

Now, two decades after the invasion, a rebellion gathers strength in the dark corridors of the city. A small faction of Shadari have hired the Mongrel, an infamous mercenary, to aid their fledgling uprising--but with her own shadowy ties to the region, she is a frighteningly volatile ally. Has she really come to lead a revolution, or for a more sinister purpose all her own?


I hate to admit it, but a lot of the appeal of this book lies in the cover. I have read a sample of the book and the character of Mongrel is pretty dark-- which I like because anti-heroes are usually written as male. But the cover sealed the deal. 

10 comments:

The Readdicts said...

That's a kick-ass cover! This sounds like a book you'll enjoy! :D

Thanks for sharing!

Here's my Waiting On Wednesday post.

Happy reading! :D

Sarika @ The Readdicts

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Wow now that is a great cover!! :) I haven't heard of this book before but now I'll have to check it out! :) Thanks for sharing :)

Here is our WOW

Bob Milne said...

Great pick - I've been curious about this one myself.

Here's my WOW

Blodeuedd said...

I do want it too now :D

Charles Gramlich said...

I like the writing sample. I like the cover. Don't feel as strongly as you do about it.

SQT said...

@Charles- I shouldn't say "the cover" in a general sense when I really mean the main character. The eye and her overall muscular toughness is what appeals to me.

Kelly said...

That blurb totally got me - when it mentioned hiring an infamous mercenary, my mind immediately went male. What a refreshing change, as you mentioned, to see a female anti-hero! And she's pretty badass on that cover.

My WoW this week is The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa!

MissKimberlyStardust said...

Never heard of this one before but I have to say I love the cover! Looks like another one of your WoW picks made it onto my tbr pile :)
Thanks for stopping by my WoW post :)

-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I'm right there with you about the cover for this one. I'm drawn and would buy it for just that reason. And good to hear the dark part. Thanks for sharing!

Leeanna said...

I just got approved for this, and I'm so excited to start it! I've been wanting books with dark female characters for a while, hope this delivers.