Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming books. 

This week's WoW pick is:

Midnight Blue-Light Special: An Incryptid Novel by Seanan McGuire
Publisher: DAW
Date: March 5, 2013
Pages: 368

Cryptid, noun:
1. Any creature whose existence has been suggested but not proven scientifically. Term officially coined by cryptozoologist John E. Wall in 1983.
2. That thing that's getting ready to eat your head.
3. See also: "monster."

The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity--and humanity from them. Enter Verity Price. Despite being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she'd rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and when her work with the cryptid community took her to Manhattan, she thought she would finally be free to pursue competition-level dance in earnest. It didn't quite work out that way...

But now, with the snake cult that was killing virgins all over Manhattan finally taken care of, Verity is ready to settle down for some serious ballroom dancing—until her on-again, off-again, semi-boyfriend Dominic De Luca, a member of the monster-hunting Covenant of St. George, informs her that the Covenant is on their way to assess the city's readiness for a cryptid purge. With everything and everyone she loves on the line, there's no way Verity can take that lying down.

Alliances will be tested, allies will be questioned, lives will be lost, and the talking mice in Verity's apartment will immortalize everything as holy writ--assuming there's anyone left standing when all is said and done. It's a midnight blue-light special, and the sale of the day is on betrayal, deceit...and carnage.


I love love love Discount Armageddon (the first book in the Incryptid series) and have been eagerly awaiting the sequel. I've been so impatient that I've been scouring Amazon every week for the description of this book so I could feature it here-- and the synopsis finally showed up!

18 comments:

Merin said...

I've never heard of this! Sci-fi isn't usually my thing, although I do love Star Trek. :D

I hope you enjoy the book when it comes out! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Dragana Mitrovic said...

I still did not read Incryptid book #1, mostly because girl in skimpy cheer-leading outfit on front cover put me off.... But I read a couple of good reviews since then and I think I am going to change my decision. Nice pick! :)

Happy holidays!
Dragana @ Bookworm Dreams
Check out what I am waiting for this Wednesday...

SQT said...

@Dragana-- Believe it or not the costume is actually appropriate to the character. She's a ballroom dancer and the scene on the cover shows her after a dance audition (if I remember correctly) and her rooftop chase of a monster afterward. Generally speaking I think most UF covers are ridiculous (Jim Hines has done some great parodies on his site) so I tend to ignore them whenever possible.

Blodeuedd said...

I got Discount for xmas and can't wait to read it :D

SQT said...

@Blodeuedd- I hope you like it!

Danica Page said...

I've never heard of this one either. Every time I come here, I find a new book I like.

Thanks for sharing.

Here's mine

~Danica Page
Taking it One Page at a Time

Danica Page said...

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad I could bring Crash and Shadowlands to your attention. Have a great day.

Dragana Mitrovic said...

@SQT: Oh I saw Jim Hines book cover parodies he's hilarious. :D
And I agree that most of adult fantasy has very bad cover's. I remember I recently saw new cover for Lois McMaster Bujold 'Captain Vorpatril's Alliance' and it was just... there are no words to describe the ugliness. :/

Anatea Oroz said...

I haven't heard about this one before but I like it. I'll hae to add it to my to-read shelf and hopefuly I'll find some time to read it too!

Thanks for stopping by my WoW.

Bob Milne said...

I've been meaning to read Discount Armageddon - maybe knowing there's a sequel in sight will help kickstart me.

Here's my WOW

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I haven't heard of this series but now I must admit it sounds so good! :) I see I'm missing out so I have to add this book on my list. Thanks for sharing :)

Here is our WOW

Charles Gramlich said...

I love the very idea of Cryptids, of course.

MissKimberlyStardust said...

I've seen this book around a lot lately! I'm going to have to add it to my list.
Thanks for dropping by my WoW post :)

-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

Howard Sherman said...

Sounds like a fun series. I've been away from the sci fi scene too world. I need to pick up the pace with my science fiction.

Elfy said...

So so jealous of anyone who gets to read Midnight Blue-Light Special ahead of time. I was lucky enough to be able to do this with Discount Armageddon last year and it was flat out awesome.

SQT said...

@Elfy-- Me too. I got a review copy- but it came right around the release date. I haven't pestered anyone for this one, so I expect I won't get a copy early (I'm too swamped to actually request anything). But I liked the first one so much I'll buy a copy and shove everything else to the side if I have to. I'm rereading the first one right now so I can keep up with the story.

Elfy said...

Have you also read the related stories that Seanan has for free on her website?

SQT said...

I haven't. I didn't know she had any up. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!