Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming book releases.

This week's selection is:

The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke
Publisher: Angry Robot
Date: January 29, 2013
Pages: 400

“Cat, this is Finn. He’s going to be your tutor.”

Finn looks and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task now is to tutor Cat. As she grows into a beautiful young woman, Finn is her guardian, her constant companion… and more.

But when the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world.

I'm so intrigued by the idea of self-aware robots. It's obviously not a new idea but this seems like a story that might focus on the relationship between Finn and Cat more than just a story pondering whether or not something man-made can have a soul. When the synopsis says ....and more, we can only speculate on what that means (but you know they want you to come to the more salacious conclusion) but I'm hoping for something closer to a love story with some real moral dilemmas. We'll see...

11 comments:

Kristin@BloodSweatandBooks said...

This one sounds so good, Great choice. Self aware robots are a creepy concept but I admit it does intrigue me. Plus I loved the movie Irobot which might of been the first time I really could sympathize with the Robot a bit more than the human.

My WoW

Sabina said...

I haven't heard of this one before but it definitely sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing!

My WoW

Sabina @ Delirious About Books

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

This one sounds so interesting! I love robots. Adding it to my list!

Books of Amber

lsmurphy.com said...

Sounds like a great read!

Bob Milne said...

The Mad Scientist's Daughter has been on my watch-shelf as well. Angry Robot has been pretty consistent with the quality of their releases.

Here's my WOW

Lyndsey Rushby said...

This sounds fab!! New follower :D


I'm having an international giveaway: http://pageafterpagereviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/book-to-film-review-life-of-pi-giveaway.html

Tribute Books Mama said...

I've heard of this one, sounds interesting.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/12/waiting-on-wednesday_19.html

Michelles Paranormal Vault Of Books said...

sounds like something I would like. Cool cover.

WoW Post

Maurice Mitchell said...

Nice book preview. The idea of machines thinking for themselves always scares me. BTW You should join our blogfest. Sign up!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I've been on the wall about this one. It sounds good, but hasn't called to me yet. Hope you get and enjoy it. :)

Mel@Thedailyprophecy. said...

I was thinking about this book as a feature for this week, so yeah, I'm definitely waiting for this one :D

WoW Mel@thedailyprophecy.