Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.


SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Frozen by Kate Watterson
Publisher: Tor
Date: December 24, 2012
Pages: 384
  
In Kate Watterson's thrilling suspense novel Frozen, Bryce Grantham wants a quiet vacation at his family’s cabin. On his first night in town, he meets a lovely girl at a bar and gives her a ride home. The next day, he finds her cell phone in his car. When he tries to return it, Bryce discovers that the young woman has vanished, leaving behind only a bloody shoe.

Suddenly Bryce Grantham is the primary suspect in a murder investigation.

Detective Ellie MacIntosch has a serial killer on her hands, but without a body, she has few leads and the stalled investigation has her on edge. Bryce Grantham seems to be the perfect suspect.

Eighteen months have gone by without a clue, and yet Grantham starts reporting stumbling across the bodies of the missing women with unbelievable frequency. The evidence against him is almost irrefutable…but Ellie’s gut tells her the case is not so cut and dry.

Before Ellie compromises the investigation, her career, and possibly her life in order to prove Bryce’s innocence, she must determine whether he is a manipulative, cold-blooded killer…or the victim of a madman playing a sickening game.


Normally I pick genre-specific titles, but I also have a weakness for thrillers (especially the serial killer variety) and "Frozen" caught my eye because of the cat-and-mouse aspect.

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Alabaster: Wolves
Publisher: Dark Horse
Date: Feb. 26, 2013
Pages: 136

Dancy Flammarion may look like a frail teenage girl, but her journey through the swamps and byways of the American South brings her into battle with werewolves, monsters, and grotesque secrets, armed only with a knife and a mission to destroy the deadly creatures that lurk in shadow. Award-winning author Caitlin R. Kiernan brings one of her most enduring and popular creations to comics!

Continuing my recent trend in featuring comics comes this one, which I've been talking about and anticipating since it was first announced about a year ago. This is a continuation/reimagining of a character from Kiernan's fantasy novels, and looks to be a really unique comic/story. I read the preview in Dark Horse Presents which only teased at the possibilities of a girl who can see the horrible things just outside our normal vision of the world.

10 comments:

Maxine said...

Sounds lovely! I hope you enjoy it when it comes out :)

Here is my WoW post. Check it out? ;)

-Maxine @ How to Save a Book

Sandy said...

I really like the sound of your first book - Frozen. There's just something about serial killers and crime novels that I really love. I think this is going to be a page-turner. Really good choice! :)

The Readdicts said...

Alabaster looks great! Frozen seems good too.

Here's my Waiting On Wednesday post.

I'm following you now! :D

Sarika The Readdicts

Michelle SedeƱo said...

First time to hear about these books. Thanks for sharing!
Here's my Wednesday post.
Have a great day!

Sabina said...

I haven't heard of these before but Frozen sounds great. Great picks!

My WoW

Sabina @ Delirious About Books

Bob Milne said...

A pair of interesting picks this week!

Here's my WOW

Tribute Books Mama said...

They sound like intriguing picks, enjoy!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/11/waiting-on-wednesday_21.html

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

Frozen sounds AWESOME. I love books about serial killers!

Books of Amber

Danielle Villano said...

Oh, Frozen sounds really great! Thanks so much for sharing. Happy Wednesday :)

Best,
Danielle
http://thereaderscommute.blogspot.com

Chapter by Chapter said...

Frozen definitely has me intrigued! I'm gonna keep my eyes oopen for this one. Thanks for sharing!

MaryAnn | Chapter by Chapter
Our WoW this week!