Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

City of Dark Magic: A Novel by Magnus Flyte
Publisher: Penguin Group
Publication date: 11/27/2012
Pages: 464

Cosmically fast-paced and wildly imaginative, this debut novel is a perfect potion of magic and suspense

Once a city of enormous wealth and culture, Prague was home to emperors, alchemists, astronomers, and, as it’s whispered, hell portals. When music student Sarah Weston lands a summer job at Prague Castle cataloging Beethoven’s manuscripts, she has no idea how dangerous her life is about to become. Prague is a threshold, Sarah is warned, and it is steeped in blood.


Soon after Sarah arrives, strange things begin to happen. She learns that her mentor, who was working at the castle, may not have committed suicide after all. Could his cryptic notes be warnings? As Sarah parses his clues about Beethoven’s “Immortal Beloved,” she manages to get arrested, to have tantric sex in a public fountain, and to discover a time-warping drug. She also catches the attention of a four-hundred-year-old dwarf, the handsome Prince Max, and a powerful U.S. senator with secrets she will do anything to hide.


City of Dark Magic could be called a rom-com paranormal suspense novel—or it could simply be called one of the most entertaining novels of the year.


~My Thoughts
Tantric sex in a public fountain? Who wouldn't want to know what that's all about?

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Higher Earth vol 1
Publisher: BOOM! Studios
Date: January 1, 2013
Pages: 128

When the final frontier proves to be a desolate wasteland, mankind turns its sights toward exploring -- and conquering -- a different sort of territory: alternate Earths. HIGHER EARTH, written and created by Sam Humphries, takes place in a universe of interconnected Earths, with many falling under the empire of the titular throne world.

I think I've mentioned this graphic novel before in one of my Raves, but it's got an interesting premise. At least one of the main characters is from a "lesser" Earth, one of those under the rule of Higher Earth, and therefore essentially a non-citizen. Are there others who feel as helpless and hopeless, and is there anything they can do against such an advanced empire?

19 comments:

Jennifer Messerschmidt said...

These are new to me but City of Dark Magic sounds perfect! Right in the opening
Cosmically fast-paced and wildly imaginative, this debut novel is a perfect potion of magic and suspense!!! Thanks for sharing!
My WOW

Silverlight said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Silverlight said...

City Of Dark Magic, sounds strangely good, hmm, may just have to add it to my pile!

My WOW

Elle said...

Great picks! :D

My WoW!! :)

Bob Milne said...

Gotta agree with you, SQT - the book itself sounds interesting, but that reference to "Tantric sex in a public fountain" definitely pushes it over the top. LOL

My WOW

Vanya D. said...

Nice choices!

My WOW this week.

lsmurphy.com said...

Great picks.

Dragana Mitrovic said...

When I read summary for 'City of Dark Magic: A Novel ' the same thing attracted my attention. It promises to be entertaining read. :)

Dragana @ Bookworm Dreams
Check out what I am waiting for this Wednesday...

Ashley said...

City of Dark Magic sounds great and I adore the cover! I like the designs behind the text. And the font is cool. :D

Awesome choices!

My WOW

Carina said...

I have to admit that CITY OF DARK MAGIC sounds quite intriguing - different... definitely have to take a closer look. Thanks for sharing!

Carina
Fictional Distraction

Chapter by Chapter said...

City of Dark Magic sounds like one that I would absolutely love! Thanks for sharing!

MaryAnn @ Chapter by Chapter
Our pick this week!

Tribute Books Mama said...

Good picks.
http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/11/waiting-on-wednesday_14.html

InkkReviews said...

city of dark magic sounds good. great pick <a href="spirkle@clevelandschools.org> check out our WOW</a> ~ Katie @ Inkk

Blodeuedd said...

The first one does sound interesting :)

Emma said...

City of Dark Magic sounds brilliant. I'm lucky enough to have received the a eARC! I can't wait to read it! :D
I haven't heard of High Earth though, it looks pretty cool! Great picks!

New Follower. Here's my WoW

Elfy said...

City of Dark Magic sounds intriguing and the cover is very cool, too.

Martina Koleva said...

City of Dark Magic sounds interesting. Maybe not exactly what I'm looking for but I like it... I hope you enjoy reading your pick when they come out.
Come check out my WOW post.

Marie King said...

These looks like awesome books and I might have to pick it up! I'm finishing up a pretty great book now called "Three Fugitives" by Nat Howler, it's part of the Six Stones Trilogy. You can check out him and the book on the website http://nathowler.com/. Thanks for the reviews and suggestions!

ShadowFalcon said...

Oh Looking forward to Higher Earth :-)