Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Invisibility by Andrea Creamer and David Levithan
Publication Date: May 2013
Publisher: Philmel/Penguin

Stephen has been invisible for practically his whole life — because of a curse his grandfather, a powerful cursecaster, bestowed on Stephen’s mother before Stephen was born. So when Elizabeth moves to Stephen’s NYC apartment building from Minnesota, no one is more surprised than he is that she can see him. A budding romance ensues, and when Stephen confides in Elizabeth about his predicament, the two of them decide to dive headfirst into the secret world of cursecasters and spellseekers to figure out a way to break the curse. 

But things don’t go as planned, especially when Stephen’s grandfather arrives in town, taking his anger out on everyone he sees. In the end, Elizabeth and Stephen must decide how big of a sacrifice they’re willing to make for Stephen to become visible — because the answer could mean the difference between life and death. At least for Elizabeth.

The description for this book is why I keep coming back to YA fiction-- it's so inventive. I think Creamer and Levithan are both pretty good writers, so I have high hopes for this one. 


Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Space: 1999 - Aftershock and Awe
Publisher: Archaia Entertainment
Date: November 6, 2012
Pages: 160
 
In an alternate universe where JFK was never assassinated, mankind has already suffered through World War III, unified into a single world government, and built a base on the moon by the year 1999!

September 13th: 1999 - An atomic accident causes the moon to be blown out of orbit and hurled into the unknown, the survivors of the lunar base stationed there launched towards their destiny across the stars. But what of the cataclysm and wanton destruction caused to the Earth in its wake?

This groundbreaking retro-reintroduction to the sci-fi hit series begins with AFTERSHOCK, which follows nine lives who are forever changed by the carnage left in the moon's wake. Told from the point of view of those left behind on a ravaged Earth, AFTERSHOCK explores the scientific, environmental, and social political repercussions of a world left with no moon.

The story continues in AWE, which adapts the pilot episode of SPACE: 1999 "Breakaway", as seen through the personal logs of Commander John Koenig and Professor Victor Bergman on Moonbase Alpha -- expanded to include both new and unfilmed material, and utilizing the remastered art of comics legend Gray Morrow as a basis for this revolutionary retelling.


Man, I remember loving this TV show as a young kid. I haven't seen it in years, but the idea of revisiting it through a more modern sensibility sounds intriguing. Exploring the world left behind after the Moon is pushed out of orbit should make for a nice twist on the post-apocalyptic tales we normally get.

18 comments:

biochemguy said...

Invisibility was a really popular pick last week so it is no surprise to see some carry over on this one. I hadn't heard of the other book so not sure if I will read that one or not. Thanks for sharing! ^.^ If you'd like to check out my Waiting On Wednesday post you can do so here. :)

Giselle @ Book Nerd Canada said...

I really love that cover of Invisibility. SO eye-catching and those two authors are just amazeballs!
------
Giselle from Book Nerd Canada
Waiting on Wednesday

MissKimberlyStardust said...

I'm glad someone picked Invisibility! i was going to put that on my WoW post but I'm saving it for next week. Great picks!

Come check out my WoW post :)

-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

Kathy Ann Coleman said...

I totally agree that Invisibility sounds awesome. I definitely want to check it out. :)

Nikki said...

A Cremer and Leviathan book is going to be interesting regardless...Can't wait to see what they came up with!

Nikki @ Books Most Wanted

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I've heard about Invisibility in last week's WOW and since then this book is on my radar! I hope it'll be good, but that0s David Levithan after all! :)

Here is my WOW

Jennifer Messerschmidt said...

Invisibility was my WOW last week! I'm so excited! Love both the authors and the synopsis! All about paranormal romance especially with someone invisible!
My WOW

LS Murphy said...

Great picks. Both sound like good reads.

Siobhán @ Totally Bookalicious said...

Invisibilty is my pick this week aswell. :)

Fab books. Need to check out the other one.

Check out our WoW

Bob Milne said...

I'm with you, Jim - it's been a lot of years since I last saw an episode of Space: 1999, but this sounds like a cool way to revisit it.

Here's my WOW

Tribute Books Mama said...

Two interesting picks.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/10/waiting-on-wednesday-owlet-by-emma.html

adriennethelibrarian said...

These look like fun! I've been seeing Invisibility a lot lately. Thanks for the rec!

Here's my WoW

Steve said...

Hi I just found your blog and its great. As a long long time reader of Sci Fi its tough to find new and interesting authors and plots. I might be returning the favour to Americans because most have never heard of this excellent sci fi series called Continuum.

Kate said...

I heard a lot of good things about Invisibility! Great picks!

Here's my WoW :D New follower via GFC. :D

Tammy Sparks said...

I really want to read Invisibility too! Great choice. Here's my WOW post.

Sonythebooklover said...

Aftershock and awe i love the premises its going on my TBR thanks for sharing. My WoW .... http://sonythebooklover.com/2012/10/waiting-on-wednesday-76/

Chapter by Chapter said...

I am so looking forward to this one!! Love the cover and so excited for this collab! Great pick! Thanks for sharing. :)

MaryAnn @ Chapter by Chapter
Our WoW for this week!

Martina Koleva said...

I have Invisibility on my to-read list and I can't wait to get my hands on it. It sounds amazing! I haven't heard of your other pick but I hope you enjoy it when it comes out!
Come check out my WoW post.