Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

The Silvered by Tanya Huff
Publisher: DAW
Date: November 6, 2012
Pages: 304

From the author of the bestselling Blood books, a brilliant new tale of shape-changers, mages, soothsayers,and a power-mad emperor.

The Empire has declared war on the small, were-ruled kingdom of Aydori, capturing five women of the Mage-Pack, including the wife of the were Pack-leader. With the Pack off defending the border, it falls to Mirian Maylin and Tomas Hagen—she a low-level mage, he younger brother to the Pack-leader—to save them. Together the two set out on the kidnappers’ trail, racing into the heart of enemy territory. But with every step the odds against their survival, let alone their success, grow steeper...

I haven't read Tanya Huff in ages, but I've always liked her books. This one has the benefit of having a very cool cover that combines steampunk elements with the were-focused story. I haven't read anything that I would put in the more traditional fantasy category lately (and I'm not sure sure this fits the genre too precisely) but cover has me itching to gives this one a try.

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland
Publisher: Vertigo
Date: November 20, 2012
Pages: 152

FABLES: WEREWOLVES OF THE HEARTLAND is a riveting original graphic novel that is both an integral part of the FABLES mythology and an entry point to the long-running, best selling series.

Bigby Wolf takes center stage in the most brutal, action-packed FABLES story to date. Sent out into modern day America at large, Bigby’s on a quest for possible locations for a new Fabletown. In his wanderings, Bigby stumbles across a small town named Luperville, somewhere in American’s vast heartland, that, amazingly enough, seems to be populated by werewolves.

These werewolves are descendants of a World War II German project to create an army of werewolf super soldiers, some of whom who were infected with Bigby’s tainted blood. And even more unfortunate the fact that they’ve captured, caged and tortured the most popular and important canine in history: Bigby Wolf.

This original graphic novel (meaning it is not a collection of comics, but has only been made available in this long form edition) carries on the tradition of 1001 Nights of Snowfall, a volume which revealed the origins of many Fables characters. This time the focus is on the Big Bad Wolf, always a favorite character of mine in the Fables series.


biochemguy said...

I hadn't heard of these before! Thank you for sharing them. ^.^ If you would like to check out my Waiting On Wednesday you can do so here. :)

Rachel said...

Looks like you both love fantasy! Great picks!

Here's our WoW

Novels On The Run said...

Awesome enjoy those reads. I have not herd of them before:)


Tanja - Tanychy said...

Oh both of these are new for me. The Silvered sounds really good. I like the cover. I have to check out both books! Thanks for sharing.

Here is my WOW

Martina Koleva said...

I haven't read any of Tanya Huff's books but I like the sound of The Silvered. I might give it a try when it comes out. I hope you like it when you read it though. Nice picks!
Come check out my WOW post.

Bob Milne said...

Same here - it's been a long time since I read any Huff, but I always like her work.

Here's my WOW

lsmurphy.com said...

Sound like some interesting reads. :)

Tribute Books Mama said...

I hope you enjoy both of your picks.

Maria said...

The Silvered by Tonya Huff looks great! I really need to pick up her books. I didn't do a WoW this week

Elfy said...

HUGE Fables fan, so I'll be keeping an eye out for Werewolves of the Heartland.

Starr K said...

The covers look amazing! The Silvered looks interesting, I'll have to see if I can squeeze it onto my TBR list. Thanks for sharing!

My WoW