Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Stung by Bethany Wiggins
Publisher: Walkers Childrens
Date: April 2, 2013
Pages: 304

There is no cure for being stung.

Fiona doesn’t remember going to sleep. But when she opens her eyes, she discovers her entire world has been altered—her house is abandoned and broken, and the entire neighborhood is barren and dead. Even stranger is the tattoo on her right hand—a black oval with five marks on either side—that she doesn’t remember getting but somehow knows she must cover at any cost. She’s right.

Those bearing the tattoo have turned into mindless, violent beasts that roam the streets and sewers, preying upon the unbranded while a select few live protected inside a fortress-like wall, their lives devoted to rebuilding society and killing all who bear the mark.

Now Fiona has awakened branded, alone—and on the wrong side of the wall.


I don't know if this is a children's book or not (though the name of the publisher would suggest it is at least YA) but this sounds great regardless of what genre it's published in. It's has mystery, suspense and a zombie-ish like predators. What isn't there to love?

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Fairest (vol 1)
Publisher: Vertigo
Date: November 27, 2012
Pages: 160

New York Times bestselling, award-winning creator Bill Willingham presents a new series starring the female FABLES. Balancing horror, humor and adventure in the FABLES tradition, FAIREST explores the secret histories of Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, Cinderella, The Snow Queen, Thumbelina, Snow White, Rose Red and others.

The first 6-issue tale follows the misadventures of Briar Rose immediately after the events of FABLES #107(collected in Fables Volume 16: Super Team), in which she was stolen away by the goblin army. Following this first collection, Willingham will serve as a consultant on all story arcs and introduce new writers from other mediums to the FABLES mythos.

Since this it outside the normal Fables series (like Wolves of the Heartland) I thought I'd feature it for anyone who might otherwise miss it. I'll admit I wasn't particularly intrigued by the teaser/prequel which consisted of a few pages of story in Super Team, but I -am- interested in learning more about all the characters this series plans to feature (and Sleeping Beauty happens to be one of my favorites, so I'm hoping this first volume makes me rethink my first impression).

14 comments:

Giselle @ Book Nerd Canada said...

oohh Stung sounds very interesting. I can't wait to find out more. The cover is very simple!

------
Giselle @ Book Nerd Canada
Waiting on Wednesday

biochemguy said...

I've seen Stung a few times lately but I hadn't heard of Fairest so thanks for selecting it! Thanks for sharing! ^.^ If you would like to check out my Waiting On Wednesday you can do so here. :)

Dragana said...

I read and liked Fables, and I don't know how I did not hear about Fairest before. Thanks for picking it. :)

Dragana @ Bookworm Dreams
Check out what I am waiting for this Wednesday...

JC Jones said...

Stung sounds interesting. Here is my post:
WOW


Martina Koleva said...

I really like Sting and I can't wait to get my hands on it when it comes out. Great pick!
Come check out my WOW post.

Ashley said...

Wow, Stung sounds so cool!! I hadn't heard of that before. I'm adding it to my list right now. :) Thanks for sharing!

My WoW - Pulse

LilyElement said...

Stung sounds really interesting. I'll have to look for it when it gets released. I loveeee fairy tales redone so I'll be getting Fairest. Thanks!!

Happy Halloween!

My WoW
Melissa @ LilyElement

Tanja - Tanychy said...

That firs cover looks scary. I've seen it around and I cannot wait to see what people think about it. :) I haven't seen the second book before but sound interesting. Great picks.

Here is my WOW post

Tribute Books Mama said...

Enjoy! your choices.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/10/waiting-on-wednesday.html

A Beautiful Madness said...

I heard of this book for the first time last week, and I have to say it sounds like something I would love. Great pick!
Em @ A Beautiful Madness
My WOW

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

OMG! Stung looks like it's going to be super creep creep!!!! I'm definitely excited for it :D

Anna @ Literary Exploration
My WoW

Arianna said...

I'm really excited for Fairest! Great pick. Please check out my WoW!

Elfy said...

I'd love to have Fairest in my hot little hands right now, but I guess I'll just have to wait.

Sabina said...

I can't wait for Stung. =)

My WoW

Sabina @ Delirious About Books