Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

The Archived by Victoria Schwab
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Date: January 22, 2013
Pages: 336 pages

Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was, a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often-violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper isn't just dangerous-it's a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da's death was hard enough, but now her little brother is gone too. Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall.

In this haunting, richly imagined novel, Victoria Schwab reveals the thin lines between past and present, love and pain, trust and deceit, unbearable loss and hard-won redemption.


This has such in interesting premise. My only regret is that it's YA because the subject being described here, the lines between life and death, seem like they need an adult setting to be fully explored. That said, a lot of YA doesn't shy away too much from adult themes, so I'll definitely be checking this out.

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Edge of Infinity ed. Jonathan Strahan
Publisher: Solaris
Date: November 27, 2012
Pages: 384

"One giant leap for mankind". Those were Neil Armstrong’s immortal words when he became the first human being to step onto another world. All at once, the horizon expanded; the human race was no longer Earthbound. Our destiny would now be to reach out to eternity. 

Brought to you by the creators of Engineering Infinity, Edge of Infinity is an exhilarating new SF anthology that looks at the next giant leap for humankind: the leap from our home world out into the Solar System. From the eerie transformations in Pat Cadigan’s “The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi” to the frontier spirit of Sandra McDonald and Stephen D. Covey’s “The Road to NPS,” and from the grandiose vision of Alastair Reynolds’ “Vainglory” to the workaday familiarity of Kristine Kathryn Rusch’s “Safety Tests,” the thirteen stories in this anthology span the whole of the human condition in their race to colonise Earth’s nearest neighbours. 

Featuring stories by Hannu Rajaniemi, Alastair Reynolds, James S. A. Corey, John Barnes, Stephen Baxter, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Elizabeth Bear, Pat Cadigan, Gwyneth Jones, Paul McAuley, Sandra McDonald, Stephen D. Covey, An Owomoyela, and Bruce Sterling, Edge of Infinity is hard SF adventure at its best and most exhilarating.

What's this doing coming out in the fall - I like my short story compilations in the summer! Despite that, this book has a great list of contributors, pursuing a subject matter that I particularly love in science fiction - near future exploration of our solar system.  

14 comments:

A Beautiful Madness said...

If there's one book I can't wait to read in 2013, it's The Archived. It sounds amazing! So interesting. Great pick!
Em @ A Beautiful Madness
My WOW

biochemguy said...

I hadn't heard of Edge of Infinity before so thanks for selecting it! Thanks for sharing, oh and new follower (Frodosco - GFC)! ^.^ If you would like to check out my Waiting On Wednesday you can do so here. :)

Aditi Gupta said...

One of the most requested books by bloggers! I want to read Archived soon.
My WoW
Addie @ READioactive Book Blog

Novels On The Run said...

I requested The Archived on NG, so fingers crossed, but I have not heard of your other choice. Great WOW's

Michelle:D

Tanja - Tanychy said...

The Archived I've seen on the NetGalley billions of times but never requested it. I have no idea why. Plus the book is coming out at my b-day! :)

Here is my WOW post

Marla said...

The Archived is definitely high on my must-read list for 2013. I got to read the first few chapters and I got hooked, so I'm going to have to have it! Awesome choice!

My WoW Post

Marla @ Starting the Next Chapter

Megan Nicole said...

Both choices seem interesting!

Here's My WoW

Sabina said...

I'm waiting on The Archived as well! =)

My WoW

Sabina @ Delirious About Books

Christina said...

The Archived is already on my list to read!! Great choice!

Christina @ Ensconced in YA
My WoW

Ashley said...

The Archived sounds awesome! I'm waiting on that as well. It sounds like the perfect book for book bloggers!

My WoW

Bob Milne said...

Nice - count me in for Edge of Infinity. I don't read a lot of anthologies (I generally find them a bit too uneven), but this excites me.

Bob @ Beauty in Ruins

Tribute Books Mama said...

Two interesting choices.

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

Eeeeeeep ARCHIVED! I'm so excited for that one!!!! Great pick :)

Anna @ Literary Exploration
My WoW

Martina Koleva said...

I already have The Archived on my to-read list and I can't wait to get my hands on it. It sounds pretty amazing. Great pick!
Come check out my WOW post.