Thursday, October 11, 2012

Kid’s Stuff: Wings of Fire Review

I used to do a lot of co-reviews with my older son, as we would read a lot of books together – but now that he’s eight, he tends to do a lot of reading on his own. I love that, he’s an avid reader just as I am, but it makes it more difficult to do a proper review of some of the books I receive – like Wings of Fire #1: The Dragonet Prophecy by Tui T. Sutherland. So, what I’m going to do here is give my third-hand impressions based on my conversation with my son after he was finished with the book, but before I do that I’ll post the book’s blurb:

A thrilling new series soars above the competition and redefines middle-grade fantasy fiction for a new generation!

The seven dragon tribes have been at war for generations, locked in an endless battle over an ancient, lost treasure. A secret movement called the Talons of Peace is determined to bring an end to the fighting, with the help of a prophecy -- a foretelling that calls for great sacrifice.

Five dragonets are collected to fulfill the prophecy, raised in a hidden cave and enlisted, against their will, to end the terrible war.

But not every dragonet wants a destiny. And when the select five escape their underground captors to look for their original homes, what has been unleashed on the dragon world may be far more than the revolutionary planners intended . . .

I know my son is especially fond of books featuring dragons, so I had hoped this one would appeal to him, and it definitely did. One of the books he enjoys getting out of the library right now is the Practical Guide to Dragons, which is essentially a non-fiction type book detailing the dragons of Dragonlance. Well, the opening of Wings of Fire is similar, with a map of the world as well as a section detailing the Dragon Tribes found within the story. My son spent a great deal of time studying this section, and still refers to it long after he’s finished the book. I’d call it worthwhile for that alone, and on top of that he seemed to enjoy the story as well. He mentioned how it has dragons from different tribes (who are normally enemies) learning to work together, that this story was complete in its own right, but that it also sets up a larger quest story to be revealed over the course of the series (the cover page indicates it will be a 5 book series). Finally, he was very interested in learning when the second book would be coming out, as he’s looking forward to reading it. So, I’d call that a success, and we’ll be sure to pick up Wings of Fire #2: The Lost Heir when it comes out. Based on his response, I’d recommend it for the book’s estimated age 9-12/grade 4-7 range and possibly even younger.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I once loved dragons. Then I grew to dislike them because they were everywhere. Now I'm becoming fond of them again.