Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.


SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Date: October 2, 2012
Pages: 320

15-year-old Julie Richardson is about to learn that being the daughter of a witch isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. When she and her best friend, Marcus, witness an elderly lady jettisoned out the front door of her home, it’s pretty obvious to Julie there’s a supernatural connection.

In fact, there’s a whisper of menace behind increasing levels of poltergeist activity all over town. After a large-scale paranormal assault on Julie’s high school, her mother falls victim to the spell Endless Night. Now it’s a race against time to find out who is responsible or Julie won’t just lose her mother’s soul, she’ll lose her mother’s life.


I am loving Angry Robot's new YA imprint Strange Chemistry. I just bought Shift by Kim Curran today and it was only $5.38 for a Kindle edition-- finally, a publisher that understands that digital books should be priced lower than the hardcopy (the trade paperback edition is $9.99 before shipping).  And "Poltergeeks," besides sounding like a lot of fun, also has a similar price point ($6.01). At these prices I will definitely be keeping an eye on everything they offer. It should also be noted that Angry Robot is just as reasonable and smart in their pricing as well. (I'm not affiliated with Angry Robot or Strange Chemistry in any way. I'm just cheap and always looking for a good deal on new books.)

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn
Publisher: Del Rey
Date: December 26, 2012
Pages: 432

The Death Star has been destroyed. The Rebellion has had its first big victory. And Han Solo, newly conscripted to the Rebel cause, is on the run from the Empire and the bounty hunters eager to turn him in for the huge reward being offered by Jabba the Hutt. Now a mysterious stranger offers Han the resources to execute a daring robbery from a major crime lord. The mission is impossible, but the prize will make Han a free man. With no choice but to accept, Han Solo and his Wookiee partner, Chewbacca, set out to assemble a cast of rogues, knaves, and cons with the right combination of wits, skills, and derring-do to pull off an operation of this complexity and scale — the best scoundrels the galaxy has to offer. And then the game is on: a rip-roaring, intergalactic, Ocean’s Eleven-style heist adventure starring Han Solo, Chewie, and Lando Calrissian, written by #1 New York Times bestselling Star Wars author Timothy Zahn!

I wanted to wait until the full cover for this book was revealed, knowing they were going for a "Usual Suspects" vibe. This book is just all kinds of a no-brainer. For starters, there is no better author of Star Wars books than Zahn. This particular book has been described by the author as Ocean's Eleven meets Star Wars - and that sounds like a great mix. And now with the cover reveal, we know for sure rebel spy Winter (a creation of Zahn's from his Thrawn books) as well as Kell Tainer (my favorite Wraith pilot from Allston's X-Wing books) will be two of the members of Han's team. Between this book and X-Wing: Mercy Kill (which I'm reading now, and should have a review in time for it's release in early August), this is a great year for Star Wars books.

16 comments:

roro said...

the stars wars one looks out od this world/ lame pun. i know


gr8 wow

https://twitter.com/rocapri/status/243240355858890752

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

I think I need to start reading some Star Wars novels!

My WoW

Amy said...

I saw poltergeeks on netgalley not so long ago. Didn't read it though.
Check out my WOW here

Sarahbotbonkers said...

Poltergeeks! That one look really fun and exciting.

Care to stop by my WoW?

Charles Gramlich said...

Poltergeeks is surely a great title.

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

I love the title 'Poltergeeks' and it looks pretty good. It was available on Netgalley, but I was already too busy.

Take a look at my WoW.

Martina Koleva said...

I think I'm going to read this one if it's ever translated to my language because when I don't quite understand the summary, things aren't going good.. I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it though. Nice pick!
Come check out my WOW post.

Tribute Books Mama said...

Enjoy! your picks!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/09/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Emma said...

Cool picks.I may have requested Poltergeeks on NetGalley!

New follower, Heres My WoW

Elle said...

Great picks! They both sounds very interesting! I hope you get to read them soon! :)
My WoW!

Allie Rose said...

Poltergeeks was great, I got it from NetGalley a few months ago and thought it was really fun. And I definitely agree about Kindle or ebook pricing. If I'm going to spend $10, why wouldn't I just buy the hardcopy?

Star Wars: Scroundrels sounds good. I'll have to check out Timothy Zahn's books, I picked up one book by another author and couldn't get through the first 50 pages. I hope you enjoy these when you get the change to read them!

My WOW
-Allie

Bob Milne said...

It's been a while since I last read a Star Wars novel (I think I still have one Zahn volume to catch up on), but this sounds like fun.

Ryan Hermann said...

Looks to be a great Star Wars read!

ryanhermann.blogspot.com

yarereviews said...

oh sounds like a creepy, good read! :D
http://booknookgirl.blogspot.com/2012/09/waiting-on-wednesday-3.html

Between the Bind said...

OooO! Creep-tastic!

**New GFC Follower**

I love finding new books on this meme!

xo,
JL
Between the Bind: WoW

Elfy said...

I haven't read a Star Wars novel in years, but I may just break the embargo for that one, because it looks and sounds like all kinds of fun. I've a had a good book week myself this week picking up Ashes of Honor by Seanan McGuire and Mockingbird by Chuck Wendig.