Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Iced by Karen Marie Moning
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Date: October 30, 2012
Pages: 512

goodreads

The year is 1 AWC—After the Wall Crash. The Fae are free and hunting us. It’s a war zone out there, and no two days are alike. I’m Dani O’Malley, the chaos-filled streets of Dublin are my home, and there’s no place I’d rather be.

Dani “Mega” O’Malley plays by her own set of rules—and in a world overrun by Dark Fae, her biggest rule is: Do what it takes to survive. Possessing rare talents and the all-powerful Sword of Light, Dani is more than equipped for the task. In fact, she’s one of the rare humans who can defend themselves against the Unseelie. But now, amid the pandemonium, her greatest gifts have turned into serious liabilities.

Dani’s ex–best friend, MacKayla Lane, wants her dead, the terrifying Unseelie princes have put a price on her head, and Inspector Jayne, the head of the police force, is after her sword and will stop at nothing to get it. What’s more, people are being mysteriously frozen to death all over the city, encased on the spot in sub-zero, icy tableaux.

When Dublin’s most seductive nightclub gets blanketed in hoarfrost, Dani finds herself at the mercy of Ryodan, the club’s ruthless, immortal owner. He needs her quick wit and exceptional skill to figure out what’s freezing Fae and humans dead in their tracks—and Ryodan will do anything to ensure her compliance.

Dodging bullets, fangs, and fists, Dani must strike treacherous bargains and make desperate alliances to save her beloved Dublin—before everything and everyone in it gets iced.


I have never read Karen Marie Moning before, but I have heard a lot of good things about her books. Even though "Iced" is related to another series I'm hoping that I can pick this one up and jump right in because the story sounds awesome.

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Quintessence by David Walton
Publisher: Tor
Date: March 19, 2013
Pages: 320

goodreads

At the edge of the flat Earth, there is a place of wonders.

Quintessence is an Alternate History/Fantasy set 500 years ago in the Age of Exploration, full of alchemy, human dissection, sea monsters, betrayal, torture, religious controversy, and magic. In Europe, the magic is thin, but at the edge of the world, where the stars reach down close to the Earth, wonders abound. This drives the bravest explorers to the alluring Western Ocean. Christopher Sinclair is an alchemist who cares only about one thing: quintessence, a substance he believes will grant magical powers and immortality. And he has a ship.

Fleeing an inquisition, physician Stephen Parris follows Sinclair to an island that perches on the edge of the world, bringing his daughter Catherine with him. The island is teeming with fantastical animals and alluring mysteries, and may hold the secret of immortality.

I'll admit, I was first really taken in by that cover. I love the idea of using sailing ships and sea monsters in a fantasy setting, and from the description it looks like this book delivers that and potentially even more in this "mysterious island" setting.

19 comments:

Maxine said...

Sounds lovely! I hope you enjoy it when it comes out :)

Here is my WoW post. Check it out? ;)

-Maxine @ Teenage Fiction

Nikki said...

Ohhhh...Love the synopsis on this one! Ireland! Thanks, I hadn't seen it yet. I personally like Moning's writing, so I hope you will too. :)

Nikki @ Books Most Wanted

MissKimberlyStardust said...

I can't wait to read ICED! I've only read one of the author's books before (and loved it) so I'm really excited to read this one!
Come check out my WoW post :)

-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I still haven't read any Karen's book. I know it's lame cause I've heard only great things about it. Thanks for sharing.

Here is my WoW post

Sabina said...

Iced looks fantastic! I've now added it to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing!

Sabina
Delirious About Books
My Waiting on Wednesday =)

Wilson said...

That Quintessence book has an amaaaziiing cover. Definitely a 'judge the hell out of this book then read it' moment/book for me :D

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

Quintessence is going on my GR list! Thanks for sharing, sounds really good and the cover is pretty indeed :)

My WoW.

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

I'm really looking forward to Iced! I've never read anything by the author, but this book sounds pretty awesome. I think I'll read her previous books first, though.

Books of Amber

Bob Milne said...

Count me in for Quintessence. Yeah, it's a great cover, but that blurb hits all the right notes . . . just perfect for snagging my attention.

LS Murphy said...

Great picks. :)

West Virginia Red said...

Loved Karen's Highland series. Never finished the Fever series. But this looks great.

Tribute Books Mama said...

Great covers, enjoy your picks.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/09/waiting-on-wednesday-owlet-by-emma.html

Book Flame said...

I love Karens Fever series which is why I can't wait to read Iced since it's about Dani and I adored her in the Fever series. Great Pick!

Missy Frye said...

Both books sound intriguing. My TBR list is getting out of hand.

Check out my WoW

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

A couple of awesome picks to look forward to. I've not read any of Karen marie Moning's books, but does sound good. :) Thank you!

Chapter by Chapter said...

You picked a couple of very good titles! Loving the cover for Iced. Definitely can't wait for that one! Awesome pick :) Thanks for sharing!

MaryAnn @ Chapter by Chapter
Our WoW this week!

Elle said...

Great picks! :D
My WoW!!

Danica Page said...

I would definitely read both of these. Thanks for sharing.
Here's my WoW

~Danica Page
Taking it One Page at a Time

Martina Koleva said...

I have Iced on my to-read list and I had it on a WOW post a while back. I haven't read the Fever series but I want to read it badly. Great picks!
Come check out my WOW post or enter my international giveaway (here).