Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett
Publisher: Tor Teen
Date: March 5, 2013
Pages: 352


16-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare. Literally. Dusty is a magical being who feeds on human dreams.

Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn’t get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder. The setting is Arkwell.

And then it comes true.

Now the Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target.

Here I go again with my love/hate relationship with YA fiction. I don't finish many YA titles because I have a low tolerance for teen angst, but gosh darn it, there isn't anything out there that has the imagination of most YA titles. I love the idea of idea of Dusty feeding off of human dreams and finding herself caught up in a mystery revealed to her through someone's dream. I'll definitely be giving this one a shot. 

 Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Katya's World by Jonathan L Howard
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Date: Nov. 6, 2012
pages: 320


The distant and unloved colony world of Russalka has no land, only the raging sea. No clear skies, only the endless storm clouds. Beneath the waves, the people live in pressurised environments and take what they need from the boundless ocean. It is a hard life, but it is theirs and they fought a war against Earth to protect it. But wars leave wounds that never quite heal, and secrets that never quite lie silent.

Katya Kuriakova doesn’t care much about ancient history like that, though. She is making her first submarine voyage as crew; the first nice, simple journey of what she expects to be a nice, simple career.

There is nothing nice and simple about the deep black waters of Russalka, however; soon she will encounter pirates and war criminals, see death and tragedy at first hand, and realise that her world’s future lies on the narrowest of knife edges. For in the crushing depths lies a sleeping monster, an abomination of unknown origin, and when it wakes, it will seek out and kill every single person on the planet.

I give this imprint credit, they are seeking out very unique sounding books. This seems to have a Russian flavor, scifi/SeaQuest/20,000 Leagues vibe - with a little bit of Godzilla thrown in for good measure. It all adds up to something that sounds very interesting to me.


The Readdicts said...

Both your picks seem really interesting! Not a long wait for Katya's World, but The Nightmare Affair! 2013! Aahh... :)

It would be great if you could stop by my WoW post. :)


Jennifer Messerschmidt said...

The Nightmare Affair sounds awesome. I love a mara!

Siobhán @ Totally Bookalicious said...

The Nightmarr Affair is now on my wishlist!! Sounds really good.

Check out our Waiting On Wednesday

adinabb said...

Great picks. I'm pretty excited for The Nightmare Affair. Pity March is so far away :)

Amy said...

The first book sounds really good! Great picks
Check out my WOW here

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

Two very good picks! The idea of being a nightmare is so original.

Come visit my WoW.

Bob Milne said...

I haven't been overly excited by the Strange Chemistry line, but Katya's World sounds interesting.

Here's my WOW

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

I featured The Nightmare Affair a couple of months ago. I can't wait for it to be released!

Books of Amber

Arianna said...

The Nightmare Affair was my WoW last week! Looking forward to it. Please check out my WoW!

Martina Koleva said...

Great picks. I have the Nightmare affair on my to-read list and I can't wait read it.
Come check out my WOW post.

LS Murphy said...

I'm really looking forward to The Nightmare Affair.
Here's my WoW: http://wp.me/pN94q-tQ

Tribute Books Mama said...

Two captivating picks, enjoy! them.


Sugar and Snark said...

Oooh some books I haven't seen before! Happy Wednesday :)

Our WoW
Sugar & Snark

Diana said...

The Nightmare Affair does sound fabulous, doesn't it? ;)
Thanks for sharing!

Our WOW.

Diana @ BookVenturers

Michelle said...

New follower!Great WoW post!... :D
Michelle @ My WoW! :D

Giselle from Book Nerd said...

Both sound so amazing! I haven't heard of the second book so thank you for that. I'm definitely adding it to my list.
Giselle from Book Nerd Canada
Waiting on

Wednesday #38

Chapter by Chapter said...

The Nightmare affair sounds like it could be a really good read! I received Katya's World for review, but not quite sure how I feel about it yet. Fantastic picks!

MaryAnn @ Chapter by Chapter
Our WoW pick this week!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Both are new to me! :) Thank you.

Heather said...

Oooh, I've never heard of either of these, but The Nightmare Affair has really caught my attention! I'll have to check it out.