Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Shift by Kim Curran
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Date: Sept. 4, 2012
pages: 320

When your average, 16-year old loser, Scott Tyler, meets the beautiful and mysterious Aubrey Jones, he learns he’s not so average after all. He’s a ‘Shifter’. And that means he has the power to undo any decision he’s ever made.

At first, he thinks the power to shift is pretty cool. But as his world quickly starts to unravel around him he realises that each time he uses his power, it has consequences; terrible unforeseen consequences. Shifting is going to get him killed.

In a world where everything can change with a thought, Scott has to decide where he stands.


Sounds like a Sliders/superhero mix - I think this is going to wind up being the year of superhero-type books for me. I've had my eye on this since it was first announced, but the release date creap up on me while I wasn't looking.


SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Broken by A.E. Rought
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Date: January 8, 2013
Pages: 320

Imagine a modern spin on Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein where a young couple’s undying love and the grief of a father pushed beyond sanity could spell the destruction of them all.

A string of suspicious deaths near a small Michigan town ends with a fall that claims the life of Emma Gentry’s boyfriend, Daniel. Emma is broken, a hollow shell mechanically moving through her days. She and Daniel had been made for each other, complete only when they were together. Now she restlessly wanders the town in the late Fall gloom, haunting the cemetary and its white-marbled tombs, feeling Daniel everywhere, his spectre in the moonlight and the fog.

When she encounters newcomer Alex Franks, only son of a renowned widowed surgeon, she’s intrigued despite herself. He’s an enigma, melting into shadows, preferring to keep to himself. But he is as drawn to her as she is to him. He is strangely…familiar. From the way he knows how to open her locker when it sticks, to the nickname she shared only with Daniel, even his hazel eyes with brown flecks are just like Daniel’s. The closer they become, though, the more something inside her screams there’s something very wrong with Alex Franks.

And when Emma stumbles across a grotesque and terrifying menagerie of mangled but living animals within the walls of the Franks’ estate, creatures she surely knows must have died from their injuries, she knows.

I had to follow Jim's lead and post a Strange Chemistry title in honor of their launch last week. If you're not familiar with Strange Chemistry, they are the YA imprint of Angry Robot books. Angry Robot has has some fabulous releases (including Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig) and just looking at the books on this page I'd say Strange Chemistry is going to be just as good. "Frankenstein" is probably one of my favorite pieces of classic fiction and "Broken" looks like a terrific adaptation.

16 comments:

Sharon ObsessionwithBooks said...

I really enjoyed Shift & I'm quite eager to read Broken! great picks :)

My WoW

Martina Koleva said...

I'm not really excited about Broken but Shift sounds pretty damn amazing and I would love to get my hands on it. I'll add it on my to-read list and I can't wait for the book to come out. Great pick! Thanks for sharing.
Come check out my WOW post.

adinabb said...

Both books are new to me. Great choices. Shift sounds really good.

Diana said...

Shift is definitely something for me and going on my TBR list. Thanks for sharing!

Our WOW

Diana @ BookVenturers

Jenea Whittington said...

Nice picks... I need to add Shift for sure. :)

Jenea @ Books Live Forever
http://booksliveforever.com/?p=3556

Krystianna said...

This is actually the first I've heard about Shift and now I really want to read it. I'm glad that it is coming out soon. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

Megan at Book Brats said...

My co-blogger is reading Shift now, but Broken is almost new to me. And I can't wait for it the more I think about it. Great picks!

--Megan @ Book Brats

Tribute Books Mama said...

A nice cover on Broken,good picks!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday_29.html

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» said...

Great picks! :D They both sound very interesting! Adding to my TBR list! :)

My WoW post! 

Btw....I'm a new follower! :)

~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair

Bob Milne said...

Interesting. I normally avoid YA fiction like the plague (just doesn't appeal to me), but I really like the concept behind Shift.

Here's my WOW

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

Shift sounds really good! I've had it on my wishlist for a while now, and I can't wait for it to be released :D

Books of Amber

Braine TS said...

I just got approved for Broken myself. I hope it's as awesome as it sounds.


Talk Supe WoW

Concise Reviews By Michelle said...

those do sound good, and my kind of books, Shift for sure, I love shapeshifter books, so much can be done with them, makes them so interesting.
Here is mine
WWW and WoW Post

Starr K said...

I can't say that I'm all that excited about Broken, but Shift has caught my eye. And it keeps popping up everywhere...maybe it's a sign...

Happy Reading!
My WoW

Chapter by Chapter said...

Sweet picks! I was lucky enough to get the ARCs for these two titles and am so excited to start both of these! Strange Chemistry has some fantastic titles coming :)

Fantastic picks!

MaryAnn @ Chapter by Chapter
Our WoW for this week!

Elle said...

Great picks! Broken sounds really great! :D
My WoW!