Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Flame of Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier
Publisher: Roc
Date: November 6, 2012
Pages: 446

Maeve, daughter of Lord Sean of Sevenwaters, was badly burned as a child and carries the legacy of that fire in her crippled hands. After ten years she’s returning home as a courageous, forthright woman with a special gift for taming difficult animals. But while her body’s scars have healed, her spirit remains fragile, as she fears the shadows of her past.

Sevenwaters is in turmoil. The fey prince Mac Dara has become desperate to see his only son, who is married to Maeve’s sister, return to the Otherworld. To force Lord Sean’s hand, Mac Dara has caused a party of innocent travelers on the Sevenwaters border to vanish.

When Maeve finds one of the missing travelers murdered in the woods, she and her brother Finbar embark on a journey that may bring about the end of Mac Dara’s reign — or lead to a hideous death. But if she is successful, Maeve may open a door to a future she has not dared to believe possible...


Juliet Marillier is a simply fabulous author. If you haven't read her Sevenwaters series you should- I can't recommend it enough.  She draws from Celtic myth as the foundation of her books, but they are so lyrical and romantic they easily stand on their own. Each book can be read as a stand-alone novel, but you won't be sorry if you start with Daughter of the Forest and read your way through the whole series.

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

The Lost by Vicki Pettersson
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Date: March 19, 2013
pages: 368

Griffin Shaw and his wife were both murdered fifty years ago. Now a Centurion-a minor angel who assists the souls of newly deceased taken by violence-Grif has been granted permission to solve the mystery of his death. But like most things in life, both mortal and eternal, that permission is conditional. Grif must help the Pure angels with souls who might otherwise be Lost.

Souls like Jeap Yang, a drug addict in his final moments of life. Grif knows that death is coming, but he cannot intervene. Hopefully, Grif's mortal lover, reporter Katherine Craig, isn't constrained by angel protocol. If she can stop a death, she will.

But as Kit is about to find out, there are things more traumatic and evil than murder. A strange new drug is literally eating tweakers' flesh from the bone, and the conscientious reporter is determined to break the story-and get the drug off the streets. Her crusade will propel her and Grif into a head-to-head with a vicious drug cartel. But it seems the Pures are angelic in name only. And they have a secret agenda-a scheme that will ensare Kit and Grif and leave them scrambling to stay alive, to stay together, and to choose their fate-before it's chosen for them.

I still haven't gotten to read book 1 (The Taken), but that doesn't mean that the second novel isn't on my radar.

16 comments:

MissKimberlyStardust said...

I love the cover of this one and the summary holds the promise of an intriguing read. Great WoW pick!
Check out my WoW post :)

-Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

June G said...

I haven't heard of either of these books, but they sound interesting. Not my usual style, but I need to stretch myself...lol...

Scarlett said...

I am SO excited for Flame of Sevenwaters. I haven't heard of the other one. Thanks for sharing!

Here's a link to my WOW!

Martina Koleva said...

The lost sounds amazing and the cover is gorgeous. Nice picks.
Come check out my WOW post.

Naomi Hop said...

These are great WoW's. I don't want to have to wait for them, I want them now!! Lol!!

Here’s My Wow-
Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace
New Follower :)

Jenea Whittington said...

Great picks... They sound fantastic.

Jenea @ Books Live Forever
http://booksliveforever.com/?p=3369

Vanya D. said...

Both books are unknown to me, so thanks for sharing! :)

Here's my WOW

roro said...

i need to read julliet's books. ha ha

hope you get it soon

my wow

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

I can't wait for Flame of sevenwaters. I really want to find out more about Maeve and I LOVED the other books <3 Wonderful pick, she is one of my favorites :)

My WoW pick :)

Anna Jorgensen said...

These both sound great, I haven't read anything from either of these series. Please check out my WoW!

Also we're doing a giveaway of Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Boys. Entries close on the 26th.

Thanks

Anna @ Wandering Librarians

Tribute Books Mama said...

Nice choices, enjoy!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday_22.html

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

I've heard Vicki Patterson's books are awesome! I'll definitely have to check them out at some point :) Great picks!

Anna @ Literary Exploration
My WoW

Blodeuedd said...

I both want and not want to read the new Marillier, I liked book 1 in SW, but the other book got me mad, and the 3rd made me so depressed that I could have drown in chocolate

SQT said...

Really? I love that series. Some of the later ones are a little less depressing. I remember liking "Heir of Sevenwaters" and thinking it was less cruel to the characters that some of the others. I still have to finish "Seer of Sevenwaters..."

Chapter by Chapter said...

I haven't heard of either of these, but they sound pretty interesting! Fantastic picks! Thanks for sharing :)

MaryAnn @ Chapter by Chapter
Our WoW for this week

Maria Behar said...

(Ye olde typo monster strikes again, so I've deleted and resubmitted...)

Hey, I've never heard of the Sevenwaters series, but you've mentioned Celtic myth...I'm SO there!!! Straight into my TBR pile!! As for "The Lost", that cover doesn't really match the plot of the novel, but I do like the plot. This one is going into the TBR too, although I wish it had a different cover...Both books are awesome picks, though! Thanks so much sharing!! : )