Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

The Inexplicables by Cherie Priest
Publisher: Tor
Date: November 13, 2012
Pages: 368

Rector “Wreck ‘em” Sherman was orphaned as a toddler in the Blight of 1863, but that was years ago. Wreck has grown up, and on his eighteenth birthday, he’ll be cast out out of the orphanage.

And Wreck’s problems aren’t merely about finding a home. He’s been quietly breaking the cardinal rule of any good drug dealer and dipping into his own supply of the sap he sells. He’s also pretty sure he’s being haunted by the ghost of a kid he used to know—Zeke Wilkes, who almost certainly died six months ago. Zeke would have every reason to pester Wreck, since Wreck got him inside the walled city of Seattle in the first place, and that was probably what killed him.Maybe it’s only a guilty conscience, but Wreck can’t take it anymore, so he sneaks over the wall.

The walled-off wasteland of Seattle is every bit as bad as he’d heard, chock-full of the hungry undead and utterly choked by the poisonous, inescapable yellow gas. And then there's the monster. Rector's pretty certain that whatever attacked him was not at all human—and not a rotter, either. Arms far too long. Posture all strange. Eyes all wild and faintly glowing gold and known to the locals as simpley "The Inexplicables."

In the process of tracking down these creatures, Rector comes across another incursion through the wall—just as bizarre but entirely attributable to human greed. It seems some outsiders have decided there's gold to be found in the city and they're willing to do whatever it takes to get a piece of the pie unless Rector and his posse have anything to do with it.

This book totally snuck up on me. I've loved this series ever since I read Boneshaker and try to keep up whenever a new book comes out. But, darn it, I'm already behind! Fortunately I have until November to read Ganymede to prepare myself for "The Inexplicables."

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Annihilation by Drew Karpyshyn
Publisher: Del Rey
Date: November 13, 2012
pages: 336

Annihilation is set right after the events of Star Wars: The Old Republic. The Emperor is believed dead and the Sith Empire prepares a massive counter-attack against the Republic spearheaded by Darth Karrid, the former apprentice of Darth Malgus. The instrument of her vengeance is the Ascendent Spear, a devastating warship augmented with the dark side of the Force. Republic agent SIS Theron Shan, his Twi’lek smuggler compadre, Teff’ith, and Jedi Master Gnost-Dural are joined by Jedi Grand Master Satele Shan and Jace Malcom in a fast-paced, tension-fraught thriller.

I went for the full cover again, because I like the way it shows how Theron is sneaking past the battle in the background. I confess that I love the books set in The Old Republic era of the Star Wars timeline (thousands of years before the events of the movie) - it makes for a much more open storytelling experience, while still maintaining much of what readers would expect from Star Wars. This sounds like a thriller, and as I understand it this will be the first book set after the events depicted in the game. All of the books in this series can be read without having played the game (because I haven't), and Drew Karpyshyn is one of the best Star Wars writers so Annihilation is another strong book in a year of what will likely be great Star Wars novels.


kimbacaffeinate said...

Heck yeah on the Priest book..sweet pick!
My WoW

June G said...

I've never read a Priest book, but I love the covers! Nice choice.

Bob Milne said...

Two interesting picks this week. I haven't given Priest a read yet, but I do have Boneshaker sitting in the TBR pile. It's been a while since I've read a Star Wars novel as well (the last time Zahn wrote one, actually), but I like the setting of the Old Republic.

Here's my WOW

Kate said...

Great choice!

My wow

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

The Inexplicables sounds so good! And I love that cover as well. I've not read Boneshaker yet though, so I'll have to get to that first.

Books of Amber