Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

The Shattered Dark by Sandy Williams
Publisher: Roc
Date: October 30, 2012
Pages: 304

McKenzie was a normal college student, save for one little twist: she’s a shadow reader, someone who can both see the fae and track their movements between our world and the Realm. It’s a gift for which she has been called insane, one for which she has risked family and friends—and one that has now plunged her into a brutal civil war among the fae.

With the reign of the king and his vicious general at an end, McKenzie hoped to live a more normal life while exploring her new relationship with Aren, the rebel fae who has captured her heart. But when her best friend, Paige, disappears McKenzie knows her wish is, for now, just a dream. McKenzie is the only one who can rescue her friend, but if she’s not careful, her decisions could cost the lives of everyone she’s tried so hard to save.


I don't read a lot of urban fantasy but I really enjoyed the first book in this series, "Shadow Reader," (review HERE) and have been looking forward to the sequel ever since. 
 
Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

The Dead of Winter by Lee Collins
Publisher: Angry Robot
Date: October 30, 2012
pages: 480

Cora and her husband hunt things – things that shouldn’t exist. When the marshal of Leadville, Colorado, comes across a pair of mysterious deaths, he turns to Cora to find the creature responsible. But if Cora is to overcome the unnatural tide threatening to consume the small town, she must first confront her own tragic past as well as her present.

The Dead of Winter is a Western of sorts, but with the most almighty supernatural flavour, and a wonderful pair of central characters in Cora and her husband Ben. They’re monster hunters, discreetly plying their trade on the edge of the Colorado wilderness. No one wants to believe that there are… things out there, but sometimes the bloody evidence speaks for itself. The truth, however, is far darker than anyone suspected.

Doesn't that sound great? Like an old west X-files. Angry Robot books is really doing a great job of promoting books that fall outside normal genre conventions, and this is another book that I can't wait to sink my teeth into. And it's fitting that this is coming out around Halloween.

21 comments:

June G said...

I've really got to try some of these Urban Fantasies. Nice choices!

Traci @ The Reading Geek said...

Great picks! I haven't heard much about either of these books but they sound good. The Dead of Winter sounds especially good.

My WOW
Traci @ The Reading Geek

Sharon ObsessionwithBooks said...

These books sound great! thank-you for sharing.

My WoW - http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday-8th-august.html

Nazish Reads said...

Never heard of these, they sound really interesting. My tbr list just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Here's my WOW


-Nazish @ Nazish Reads

Michelle SedeƱo said...

Great picks! They all seem interesting. Love the cover for The Shattered Dark, adding it up on my GR tbr (though I think I have to read the first book first). Thanks for sharing!
Here's my WWW Wednesdays/WoW.
Have a great day!

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

I've just added Sandy Williams' books to my wishlist. It sounds great, and I've been looking to start a new UF!

Books of Amber

Kate said...

These both look great, I am adding them to mt TBR list.

my WOW and international giveaway!

adinabb said...

I'm looking forward to The Shattered Dark - really enjoyed the first book. Nice pick :)

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

Sandy Williams' books look great. Thanks for sharing!

My WoW pick

chelleyreads said...

i haven't heard of these but they both sound awesome! i especially like shattered dark's cover--very bad-ass!

my WoW

-michelle

Cathy De Los Santos said...

I haven't heard of these but interesting picks. Here's my WOW

Christina said...

I've never heard of Shadow Dancer but it sounds right up my alley. Awesome pick! Love the cover for Shattered Dark as well.

New follower via GFC.

Hope you'll stop by my blog, Ensconced in YA!
Waiting on Wednesday. What are YOU waiting for?
http://cahreviews.blogspot.com/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday-8.html

Bookish said...

The Dead Of Winter sounds really good, have added it to my wishlist!

Here's My WoW

Bob Milne said...

The Dead of Winter sounds interesting - may have to check that out myself.

Here's my WOW

Tribute Books Mama said...

They sound like two good choices, enjoy!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday_8.html

Martina Koleva said...

I haven't heard of the books but the first sounds interesting. Nice picks.
Here's my WOW.

Maria Behar said...

Both of these sound like they'll deliver some exciting reading! Thanks for featuring them, because they're both going into my TBR pile!! : )

Maria Behar said...

I am now a follower!! And thanks for commenting back on my WOW!! : )

SQT said...

I have to say "Dead of Winter" looks awesome too. I don't how I missed this title. I usually keep an eye on Angry Robot releases.

Kimberley Jones said...

They both sound great, but I think Dead of Winter appeals more to me :)
Thanks for sharing :)
Greetings

Here is the link to my WoW: http://kimberleyjones17.blogspot.de/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh need the Sandy Williams book. Dang, the next one's on it's way already! Wow. I'm behind.