Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What'cha Reading?

As those who stop by the blog know, I've been struggling through a terrible bout of reader's block. It has also translated into a bigger problem because I've been struggling to write reviews- which is not helpful at all when you have a blog mostly devoted to reviewing stuff.

Anyway. One strategy I employed to break through my slump was to sort through a bunch of books I had already read, and knew I liked, and see if any of them would connect- and one finally did!

The book that did it for me was The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. If you haven't read my review I'll skip to the good part-- it's a really good book. So far it still tops my list of "best of" books for 2012.

So now that I have finally finished a book (after a good month of tossing everything to the side) I need another good book to get into. I have been sorting through my TBR pile and Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch is looking pretty good- I'm a couple of chapters in and it has potential. But potential is not always enough to keep my flaky self interested these days-- so I'm wondering, what are you reading right now? And is it good? Have you finished anything lately that you feel the need to rave about?

I really, really want to know.


9 comments:

Wilson said...

I'm reading Ringworld...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld

With that exact cover O_o

SQT said...

An oldie. I bet this is an old favorite of yours...

tomlloyd said...

Thief's Gamble, Juliet McKenna - since I realised I'd never read anything by her! And I'm greatly enjoying it.

ediFanoB said...

Be sure you are not the only blogger with this kind of problem.

I'm reading three books parallel
- RASPUTIN'S BASTARDS by David Nickle
- CALIBAN'S WAR by James S. A. Corey
- FALSTAFF'S BIG GAMBLE by Hank Quense

These are three reall different books and I enjoy them all.

SQT said...

I have Caliban's War (though, of course, I still need to read Leviathan Wakes) but I hadn't heard of the other two. Rasputin's Bastards looks good.

SQT said...

I read that one years ago. I still have it around here somewhere. I always look at McKenna when she has something out because I did enjoy her earlier books.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm reading Swords of Fire, a collection of sword and sorcery tales, and A pack of wolves, a werewolf western. Both are interesting.

SQT said...

A werewolf western sounds good. I have a couple of vampire stories (with werewolves mixed in) set in the West that I've been meaning to get to.

Jim Haley said...

When all else fails for me, it's time to crack open a Star Wars book. I've currently got three books I want desperately to read: Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, Star Wars: W-Wing - Mercy Kill and Turbulence. My biggest problem is finding the time in the summer - with how late the kids go to bed, I'm exhausted by the time I crawl under the covers and can't even keep my eyes open to watch a little TV let along read a book.