Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Defiance by C. J. Redwine
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Date: August 28, 2012
Pages: 416

Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan—the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.


 This sounds like a YA book worth taking a chance on. Rather than a simple romance the description reads like a well thought out story with an honest-to-goodness plot. The best book I read last year was YA ("Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor) and if the reviews attached to "Defiance" are any indication it may be this year's YA title. Fingers crossed.


Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Dead Space: Catalyst by B.K. Evenson
Publisher: Tor
Date: October 2, 2012
pages: 416

Dead Space: Catalyst takes place three hundred years in the future, where mankind is tampering with the dangerous alien technology gleaned from the Black Marker, an ancient alien artifact discovered on Earth centuries earlier. Hoping to end resource constraints that threaten to make mankind extinct, the urgency sinks the already unscrupulous EarthGov to new lows. At this early stage, the Marker threat is just appearing – and is maybe even contained – except if it finds the catalyst it so desperately seeks. Two brothers, one with a special but broken mind, the other forever conflicted by the impossible chore of keeping him out of trouble, cross paths with EarthGov and the Markers at this critical juncture and forever change the course of the Marker outbreak.

Halloween comes a little early to the blog, as this week and next I'm featuring a couple of genre books that fit for that time of the year. I still mean to read Dead Space: Martyr from last year, so this is probably more of a case of a book I'm interested in reading after I've caught up. Horror and scifi combine together quite nicely methinks.


8 comments:

Martina Koleva said...

I have Defiance on my to-read list for some time now but after today Dead Space: Catalyst will be joining it there. The idea of books in the future is absolutely fascinating for me and I really like how this one sounds. I'd love to read it as soon as it comes out. Awesome picks, thanks for sharing!
Check out my WOW.

SQT said...

I picked "Defiance," but "Dead Space" is now on my list too!

Bob Milne said...

Count me in for the Dead Space series - sounds like a great read. As for me, Halloween came a bit early as well . . . as you'll see in my WOW.

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

I loved Defiance ...It's definitely worth the wait ,,,It has a lot of chapters from the GUYS POV !

Krazyyme @ Young Readers

Maurice Mitchell said...

Dead Space Catalyst sounds pretty amazing. I'm less interested in Defiance, but it sounds exciting.

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I am really looking forward to Defiance, too, and the few reviews I have read of it were really good!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Some cool picks here. Both are new to me as well. I do like that cover of her dark black dress. :) Thank you for sharing.

Nina @ Death Books and Tea said...

You always pick really good books here. Defiance was already on my to-read list, but the Dead Space books are new to me. Thanks for sharing!