Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone
Publisher: Tor
Date: October 2, 2012
Pages: 336

A god has died, and it’s up to Tara, first-year associate in the international necromantic firm of Kelethres, Albrecht, and Ao, to bring Him back to life before His city falls apart. Her client is Kos, recently deceased fire god of the city of Alt Coulumb. Without Him, the metropolis’s steam generators will shut down, its trains will cease running, and its four million citizens will riot.

Tara’s job: resurrect Kos before chaos sets in. Her only help: Abelard, a chain-smoking priest of the dead god, who’s having an understandable crisis of faith. When Tara and Abelard discover that Kos was murdered, they have to make a case in Alt Coulumb’s courts—and their quest for the truth endangers their partnership, their lives, and Alt Coulumb’s slim hope of survival.


Set in a phenomenally built world in which justice is a collective force bestowed on a few, craftsmen fly on lightning bolts, and gargoyles can rule cities, Three Parts Dead introduces readers to an ethical landscape in which the line between right and wrong blurs.


Love this. Love the premise- and the cover. I'm a big fan of books that explore religion through living gods. It's rarely done well- but when it is it can be very thought provoking.


Jim's can't wait to read selection is:
The Kingmakers by Clay & Susan Griffith
Publisher: Pyr
Date: Sept. 4, 2012

A war to the death.

Empress Adele has launched a grand crusade against the vampire clans of the north. Prince Gareth, the vampire lord of Scotland, serves the Equatorian cause, fighting in the bloody trenches of France in his guise as the dashing Greyfriar. But the human armies are pinned down, battered by harsh weather and merciless attacks from vampire packs.

To even the odds, Adele unleashes the power of her geomancy, a fearsome weapon capable of slaughtering vampires in vast numbers. However the power she expends threatens her own life even as she questions the morality of such a weapon.

As the war turns ever bloodier and Adele is threatened by betrayal, Gareth faces a terrible choice. Their only hope is a desperate strike against the lord of the vampire clans - Gareth's brother, Cesare. It is a gamble that could win the war or signal the final days of the Greyfriar.

The Vampire Empire trilogy rushesto a heart-wrenching conclusion of honor and love, hatred and vengeance, sacrifice and loss.

This is the final book in a series that I've loved so far, at this point I can't imagine how I wouldn't enjoy it - though the authors have long maintained that there may not be a happy ending for Adele and Gareth. Still, I'm looking forward to reading this book, and in fact already have it in hand and should be starting it soon. Expect a review right around release.

7 comments:

MissKimberlyStardust said...

Both of these books sound really good, great picks this week! I love the covers for them :)
Check out my WoW post :)

-Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

We Fancy Books said...

These books are new to my eyes! sounds really exciting! Great picks!

My WoW picks

~Jay
We Fancy Books

Bob Milne said...

Nice! Two good picks this week. I've come across the Vampire Empire series before, but Gladstone is new to me.

Here's my WOW

Jim Haley said...

I almost picked Three Parts Dead myself when I first came across it - though honestly I was more taken with the cover than the book description. I think I just like that artist (I actually wonder if it's the same as the Vampire Empire books, and also John G. Hemry's recent re-release book covers).

Chapter by Chapter said...

Wicked picks this week! I just got the first 2 books of the Vampire Empire series from the publisher. I am pretty excited to start them! Maybe I'll finish in time for the 3rd! Thanks for sharing!

MaryAnn @ Chapter by Chapter
Our WoW

SQT said...

Does Chris McGrath doe the Vampire Empire series? Sure looks like him. I wouldn't be surprised if he did both. He's doing a lot of covers these days.

Jim Haley said...

You are correct, it is Chris McGrath for the Vampire Empire series. I haven't gotten my hands on any of the JAG in space books yet, but I'll remember to check who the new cover artist is when I do. I'm enjoying this style even if it's another artist.