Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.


SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Romeo Spikes by Joanne Reay
Publisher: Gallery Books
Date: August 14, 2012
Pages: 416

Working the Homicide squad, Alexis Bianco believes she’s seen every way a life can be taken. Then she meets the mysterious Lola and finds out she’s wrong. More weapon than woman, Lola pursues a predator with a method of murder like no other.

The Tormenta.

If you think you’ve never encountered Tormenta, think again. You’re friends with one. Have worked for one. Maybe even fallen in love with one.

They walk amongst us—looking like us, talking like us. Coercing our subconscious with their actions.

Like the long-legged beauty that seduces the goofy geek only to break his heart, causing him to break his own neck in a noose. Or the rockstar, whose every song celebrates self-harm, inspiring his devoted fans to press knives to their own throats. The pusher who urges the addict toward one more hit, bringing him a high from which he’ll never come down. The tyrannical boss, crushing an assistant’s spirit until a bridge jump brings her low.

We call it a suicide. Tormenta call it a score, their demonic powers allowing them to siphon off the unspent lifespan of those who harm themselves.

To Bianco, being a cop is about right and wrong. Working with Lola is about this world and the next...and maybe the one after that. Because everything is about to change. The coming of a mighty Tormenta is prophesied, a dark messiah known as the Mosca.

To stop him, Bianco and Lola must fight their way through a cryptic web of secret societies and powerful legends to crack an ancient code that holds the only answer to the Mosca’s defeat. If this miscreant rises before they can unmask him, darkness will reign, and mankind will fall in a storm of suicides.

Nobody’s safe. Everyone’s a threat.


We've all had people in our lives that seem to suck the soul out of everyone they touch- and now we have a name for them. I hope this lives up to the promise of its premise- it sounds very intriguing.  



Jim's can't wait to read selection is:
 
An Officer's Duty by Jean Johnson
Publisher: ACE
Date: July 31, 2012
Pages: 448
 
Jean Johnson—the national bestselling author of the Sons of Destiny novels—returns to the world she introduced in A Soldier’s Duty with a terrible vision of the future...

Promoted in the field for courage and leadership under fire, Ia is now poised to become an officer in the Space Force Navy—once she undertakes her Academy training. But on a trip back home to Sanctuary, she fi...nds the heavyworld colony being torn apart by religious conflict. Now Ia must prepare her family and followers to secure the galaxy’s survival. Her plan is to command a Blockade Patrol ship. Her goal, to save as many lives as she can. But at the Academy, she discovers an unexpected challenge: the one man who could disrupt those plans. The man whose future she cannot foresee...
 
I saw this cover via ACE's facebook page and immediately thought, that looks like my kind of book - let me check out the blurb. I actually skipped right over that first sentance at first not realizing that a) this is military scifi written by a woman (bonus!) and b) it's the second book in the series (which means I'll need to seek out A Soldier's Duty first). But the plot sounds like my kind of book, and the reviews of the first book on Amazon indicate that this is not a romance disguised as scifi (since Jean Johnson is a romance writer as well, it was a possibility).

9 comments:

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

Oh! I don't read many adult novels (mainly because my blog focusses on YA) but A Soldier's Duty and An Officer's Duty both sound really interesting! I can safely say I have never read a military sci-fi before!

Books of Amber

We Fancy Books said...

Ohh both book is relatively new to my eyes... I didn't knew about them until now. Needs to add them on the pile! Awesome picks!

My WoW picks

~Jay
We Fancy Books

Annabelle said...

Both of these sound really interesting! I love the cover of the first one!

My WoW!

Starr K said...

Both of these sound interesting and something that will be added to my TBR pile!

My WoW:
http://theliteratipress.blogspot.com/2012/07/waiting-on-wednesay-1.html

(Sorry for the multiple deletes, I was trying to make the link easier and it's not working. But you're still welcome to check out my WoW!)

Patricia said...

I love your features! Haven't heard of them before, but both sound very intriguing! Plus the cover of the first one is really cool!

Patricia // My WOW

Bob Milne said...

Romeo Spikes sounds great - definitely adding that one to the TBR shelf.

Here's my WOW

Elfy said...

Romeo Spikes sounds both interesting and different.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Ooooh. Tormentas sound scary.

Candace said...

Hi, love your blog! I found it from a Waiting on Wednesday site. I am a new follower, I would love a follow back http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/