Monday, July 02, 2012

Reviewer's Block Givaway!- Featuring N.K. Jemisin

You always hear about writers block- that time in a writer's life when the well of inspiration runs dry. But I think I'm suffering from a stranger malady- one I've come to think of as reader's block. And I bet I'm not alone...

I have a massive TBR pile; one that's so overwhelming I know it'll never be finished. I commit to fewer and fewer books to review but can't seem to get ahead. I always know, in the back of my mind, that there are books I promised to get to months ago and yet, when I try to read them, I just stare at the page. It's like being in school again and trying to study for a test. I read the same paragraphs over and over but can't concentrate on the meanings. And when I do finish a book I can't seem to wrap my brain around the words needed to summarize them for review. In a weird way I think I'm suffering from a combination of writer's and reader's block- maybe I should call it reviewer's block...

I had planned on having a review done to post for tomorrow but when I tried to write I couldn't do anything other than stare at the blank page on my computer- or jump on the web in an attempt to distract myself. Then my husband started watching "The Dark Knight" and I was done for.

So, in an attempt to make myself feel like I am not neglecting my blog (and because this series looks really good), I'm posting a giveaway for the first two books in N.K. Jemisin's new Dreamblood series (courtesy of Orbit Books). Wish me luck in my continued attempts to unscramble my brain long enough to get anything done...

~The Giveaway

Just add your information to the form below to enter (all information is guaranteed confidential and will be discarded once the contest ends) and I will randomly pick one winner by Tuesday July 17th. No multiple entries please- all multiple entries will be discarded. Open everywhere.

Good luck!


The Killing Moon

The city burned beneath the Dreaming Moon.

In the ancient city-state of Gujaareh, peace is the only law. Upon its rooftops and amongst the shadows of its cobbled streets wait the Gatherers - the keepers of this peace. Priests of the dream-goddess, their duty is to harvest the magic of the sleeping mind and use it to heal, soothe . . . and kill those judged corrupt.

But when a conspiracy blooms within Gujaareh's great temple, Ehiru - the most famous of the city's Gatherers - must question everything he knows. Someone, or something, is murdering dreamers in the goddess' name, stalking its prey both in Gujaareh's alleys and the realm of dreams. Ehiru must now protect the woman he was sent to kill - or watch the city be devoured by war and forbidden magic.


The Shadowed Sun

 Gujaareh, the city of dreams, suffers under the imperial rule of the Kisuati Protectorate. A city where the only law was peace now knows violence and oppression. And nightmares: a mysterious and deadly plague haunts the citizens of Gujaareh, dooming the infected to die screaming in their sleep. Trapped between dark dreams and cruel overlords, the people yearn to rise up — but Gujaareh has known peace for too long.

Someone must show them the way.

Hope lies with two outcasts: the first woman ever allowed to join the dream goddess' priesthood and an exiled prince who longs to reclaim his birthright. Together, they must resist the Kisuati occupation and uncover the source of the killing dreams... before Gujaareh is lost forever.

**Contest Closed**

5 comments:

Liesel K Hill said...

Good luck! I feel your pain. Sometimes blockage of any kind has less to do with no knowing what to write than about not wanting to write. Sometimes we just overwhelm or burn ourselves out, so watch Dark Knight! Give yourself a few days to recharge your batteries and your reviews will be better for it! :D

Linds said...

I feel you (I have a massive about of writer's 'meh' at the moment), that said I'm excited about the giveaway. I've been meaning to pick these two up soon. I enjoyed her first triology, but haven't gotten around to reading Jemisin's new duology yet.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've been there. It happens to me when I feel like I have "work" reading rather than fun reading. I can't read whatever I want because I have to get to X. This is one of the reasons I don't typically accept review projects.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Sweet contest SQT!

Blodeuedd said...

Been there, sometimes it just one big block. Had a few run ins with it last week