Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Jane: The Woman Who Loved Tarzan by Robin Maxwell

Publisher: Tor
Date: September 18, 2012
Pages: 320 

Cambridge, England, 1905. Jane Porter is hardly a typical woman of her time. The only female student in Cambridge University’s medical program, she is far more comfortable in a lab coat dissecting corpses than she is in a corset and gown sipping afternoon tea. A budding paleoanthropologist, Jane dreams of traveling the globe in search of fossils that will prove the evolutionary theories of her scientific hero, Charles Darwin.

When dashing American explorer Ral Conrath invites Jane and her father to join an expedition deep into West Africa, she can hardly believe her luck. Africa is every bit as exotic and fascinating as she has always imagined, but Jane quickly learns that the lush jungle is full of secrets—and so is Ral Conrath. When danger strikes, Jane finds her hero, the key to humanity’s past, and an all-consuming love in one extraordinary man: Tarzan of the Apes.

This is a departure for me in that it's not strictly genre- but I love the idea of seeing the story of Tarzan told from Jane's point of view.


 Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Shadows of Treachery ed. Christian Dunn & Nick Kyme
Publisher: The Black Library
Date: Sept. 25, 2012
Pages: 416

From the battlefields of Phall and Isstvan, to the haunted shadows of Terra itself – the greatest war in the history of mankind rages on. While the traitor Legions continue their campaign of terror across the galaxy, preparations are made for the defence of the Imperial Palace and the final, inevitable reckoning that must yet come between Horus and the Emperor...

This anthology spans the entire Horus Heresy, with short stories from Dan Abnett, Graham McNeill and Gav Thorpe, as well as two brand new novella-length tales. Learn the fate of Rogal Dorn’s fleet originally sent to Isstvan III in ‘The Crimson Fist’ by John French, and descend deeper into the darkness of the Night Lords Legion in ‘Prince of Crows’ by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

There isn't anything about this anthology of short stories that I don't like. Rogal Dorn from one of the best audiodramas The Dark King & The Lightning Tower, Abnett, McNeill and Dembski-Bowden - all those stories are bound to be winners.

20 comments:

Kathy Ann Coleman said...

Jane sounds really interesting and I think I might need to check it out. I love it when an idea is turned around like that. It can be really interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)

Claire Frith said...

I like the sound of Jane, but I think I might read a few reviews before I decide whether to read it or not! Thanks for sharing :)

Claire Reads WoW

Kat said...

I think I need to add Jane to my TBB list.

Here's my WOW pick.

Kat
Wit and Sin

Vickie Ramage said...

Tarzan told from Jane's perspective sounds pretty awesome to me! I'm definitely going to look out for reviews of this one.

✪✩ComaCalm's Corner✩✪

Bookish Times said...

Jane sounds like a good read :D **New Follower**
www.bookishtimes.blogspot.co.uk

Lizzy said...

Tor publishes some really interesting books. I'm all for a Tarzan retelling from Jane's perspective!

Annabelle said...

I hadn't heard of Jane before but now it sounds so good! I will have to read it! Thanks for showing me this book!

My WoW!

Charles Gramlich said...

I would read Jane.

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

Jane sounds great! I love Tarzan and I'd love to read something from Jane's POV.

Books of Amber

SQT said...

Thanks! Following you back.

Kate said...

These look really interesing. Especially the Tarzan one. I will have to check them out. Love the blog! I followed on GFC.

my WOW

Tribute Books Mama said...

Like the sound of Jane.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/06/waiting-on-wednesday_27.html

A. Knight @ Paranormal Indulgence said...

My knowledge of Jane Porter extends to the mere Disney rendition of Tarzan. It might be cool to check out something like this, a retelling of a kind. I LOVE THE COVER. She looks so serious and badass!

Christina said...

These both sound like interesting books :-) Go Jane! Woman power!

Come see me over at Ensconced in YA
http://cahreviews.blogspot.com

Bob Milne said...

Interesting picks this week - I never really got into the Tarzan stories, but I like the idea of telling it from Jane's perspective.

Here's my WOW

Ann @ Tea And Text said...

Jane definitely sounds like it'll be interesting!

My WoW

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

I haven't heard of the first book before, but seeing the story through Jane's eyes could be fascinating. I'll check it out, thanks!

http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.nl/2012/06/waiting-on-wednesday-15.html

Chapter by Chapter said...

I've had JANE up on my radar for awhile now. I can't wait to check that one out! Great pick :)

MaryAnn@ Chapter by Chapter
Our WoW

Elfy said...

Jane sounds interesting, I'm sure she'll be much better written and drawn than the character in the original who was a mildly offensive stereotype.

SQT said...

From what I've read it looks like the author is known for writing good historical fiction- so I think it'll probably be good.