Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Break My Heart 1,000 Times by Daniel Waters
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Date: October 16, 2012
Pages: 352

Living in the aftermath of the Event means that seeing the dead is now a part of life, but Veronica wishes that the ghosts would just move on. Instead, the ghosts aren’t disappearing—they’re gaining power. 

When Veronica and her friend, Kirk, decide to investigate why, they stumble upon a more sinister plot than they ever could have imagined. One of Veronica’s high school teachers is crippled by the fact that his dead daughter has never returned as a ghost, and he’s haunted by the possibility that she’s waiting to reappear within a fresh body. Veronica seems like the perfect host. And even if he’s wrong, what’s the harm in creating one more ghost? 

I haven't read a good ghost story in ages- I hope this one is as good as it sounds!


Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Doctor Who: Shada by Gareth Roberts
Publisher: Penguin
Date: June 26, 2012
Pages: 400

From the unique mind of Douglas Adams, the legendary "lost" Doctor Who story has been completed at last by Gareth Roberts.
 
The Doctor’s old friend and fellow Time Lord Professor Chronotis has retired to Cambridge University—where nobody will notice if he lives for centuries. But now he needs help from the Doctor, Romana and K-9. When he left Gallifrey he took with him a few little souvenirs—most of them are harmless. But one of them is extremely dangerous.

The Worshipful and Ancient Law of Gallifrey isn’t a book for Time Tots. It is one of the Artifacts, dating from the dark days of Rassilon. It must not be allowed to fall into the wrong hands. The sinister Skagra most definitely has the wrong hands. He wants the book. He wants to discover the truth behind Shada. And he wants the Doctor’s mind...

Based on the scripts for the original television series by the legendary Douglas Adams, Shada retells an adventure that never made it to the screen.

When I was a kid, I devoured Doctor Who books - but I haven't read one in a very long time, certainly none of the tie-ins to the recent series (despite the fact that I've very much enjoyed the new Doctor Who). Still, a "lost" adventure featuring my favorite of the old Doctors (Tom Baker) based on a script written by Douglas Adams (Hitchiker's Guide - one of my favorite series of all time) and you're talking about a combination that I won't be able to resist.

9 comments:

Tabby @Insightful Minds said...

Break my Heart 100 Times please! I am def adding that to my TBR list! :)

Check out my Waiting on Wednesday :)
Tabby @Insightful Minds & IM Design Studio

Kai @ Amaterasureads said...

I just featured the Break my Heart 1000 Times last week! I love how creepy the last line of the summary is. And it's a ghost story! Yes please :)

Check out my WoW picks this week!

Vickie Ramage said...

Really want Break My Heart! It's on NetGalley but Disney are refusing blogger requests so it's just sitting there teasing me... mean of them!

ComaCalm's WoW Giveaway

Bob Milne said...

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Dr. Who book. I had looked forward to Moorcock's take on things for so long, as was so bitterly disappointed (and utterly bored), that I'm a bit gun-shy. Also, the fact that Adams refused to allow the story to be published while he was alive makes me wonder as to the quality . . . but I still may end up checking it out.

Here's my WOW

SQT said...

Why have it on Netgalley then? Hopefully they're just waiting a little bit- until it's closer to its release date.

Maurice Mitchell said...

SQT, it sounds like Douglas Adams pulled another great book off. Tom Baker is definitely my favorite Doctor.
- Maurice Mitchell
The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

Tribute Books Mama said...

Nice choices, enjoy!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/06/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Fall Into Books said...

I'm waiting on Break My Heart 1000 times also. It looks so awesome!

Great picks!
My WoW

BookSmartie said...

I've only ever read one ghost book and didn't enjoy that one at all :/ This one sounds pretty good, though, so maybe I'll pick it up when it comes out. THe cover looks definitely creepy!