Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Tin Swift by Devon Monk
Publisher: Penguin
Date: July 3, 2012
Pages: 384  

In steam age America, men, monsters, machines and magic battle to claim the same scrap of earth and sky. In this chaos, one man fights to hold on to his humanity—and his honor. . .

Life on the frontier is full of deceit and danger, but bounty hunter Cedar Hunt is a man whose word is his bond. Cursed with becoming a beast every full moon, Cedar once believed his destiny was to be alone. But now, Cedar finds himself saddled with a group of refugees, including the brother he once thought lost.

Keeping his companions alive is proving to be no easy task, in part because of the promise he made to the unpredictable Madder brothers—three miners who know the secret mechanisms of the Strange. To fulfill his pledge, Cedar must hunt a powerful weapon known as the Holder—a search that takes him deep into the savage underbelly of the young country and high into the killing glim-field skies defended by desperate men and deadly ships.

 
But the battles he faces are just a glimmer of a growing war stirring the country. To keep his word Cedar must navigate betrayal, lies, and treacherous alliances, risking everything to save the lives of those he has come to hold dear…


I've been meaning to get to the Age of Steam series by Devin Monk for awhile. I have the weirdest, most interrupted reading habits thanks to my inability to organize my TBR list. I read the first part of Dead Iron and really liked it, but still haven't finished it. With this on the way I'm going to have to make the time to get to both books. I mean it this time...

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:


Seven Wonders by Adam Christopher

publisher: Angry Robot
date: 8/28/12
pages: 416

Tony Prosdocimi lives in the bustling Metropolis of San Ventura – a city gripped in fear, a city under siege by the hooded supervillain, The Cowl.


When Tony develops super-powers and acts to take down The Cowl, however, he finds that the local superhero team Seven Wonders aren’t as grateful as he assumed they’d be…


I -still- want to read Empire State, which sounds like it's right up my alley as a superhero/noir combination. While I don't think Seven Wonders is in the same "universe" as Empire State (though there are more books coming in that series), it's still got the superhero vibe which almost always catches my attention.


7 comments:

Bob Milne said...

Steampunk? Superheroes? Nice - I'm adding both to my TBR list (which suddenly doesn't feel quite so neglected, knowing that my inability to juggle it isn't quite so unique).

Here's my WOW

Edward Alonzo said...

Seven Wonders looks awesome. Great picks! :D

My WoW

Tribute Books Mama said...

Enjoy! your picks.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday_30.html

Lu said...

Oooh steampunk? Yes please!

Happy Wednesday!

The Muggle
Giveaways and Kindle Deals

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

Never heard of them before, but I quite like the sound of them. I'm going to check them out! :D

http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday-14.html

ediFanoB said...

The age of steam series is on my radar and Empire State is part of my TBR pile.

Elfy said...

Looking forward to Tin Swift. I really enjoyed Dead Iron last year.