Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

The White Forest by Adam McOmber
Publisher: Touchstone
Date: September 11, 2012
Pages: 320

In the bestselling tradition of The Night Circus and Sarah Waters’s The Little Stranger, Adam McOmber’s hauntingly original debut novel follows a young woman in Victorian England whose peculiar abilities help her infiltrate a mysterious secret society. 

Young Jane Silverlake lives with her father at a crumbling family estate on the edge of Hampstead Heath. Jane has a secret—an unexplainable gift that allows her to see the souls of manmade objects—and this talent isolates her from the outside world. Her greatest joy is wandering the wild heath with her neighbors, Madeline and Nathan. But as the friends come of age, their idyll is shattered by the feelings both girls develop for Nathan, and by Nathan’s interest in a cult led by Ariston Day, a charismatic mystic popular with London's elite. Day encourages his followers to explore dream manipulation, with the goal of discovering a new virtual reality, a place he calls the Empyrean.

A year later, Nathan has vanished, and the famed Inspector Vidocq arrives in London to untangle the events that led up to Nathan’s disappearance. As a sinister truth emerges, Jane realizes she must discover the origins of her talent and use it to find Nathan herself, before it’s too late.

I was sold the instant I came to the part about the "souls of manmade objects." I'm really curious to see how that idea is developed and what it means for inanimate objects to have a soul- as well as the bit about dream manipulation. The rest of the storyline looks pretty good too. Very atmospheric with a nice bit of intrigue.

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:


The Lost Stars: Tarnished Knight by Jack Campbell
publisher: ACE
date: 10/2/12
pages: 384

The authority of the Syndicate Worlds government is crumbling. Civil war and rebellion are breaking out in many star systems despite the Syndicate government's brutal attempts to suppress disorder—and Midway is one of those star systems.

Artur Drakon and Gwen Iceni have been betrayed by the Syndicate and launch a battle for control over Midway. If their coup is to succeed, they must put aside their differences to prevent the population of the system from rising up against them—and to ferret out saboteurs determined to reestablish Syndicate rule...

Essentially a second (parallel) series to The Lost Fleet by the same author, as John Geary's fleet heads into alien space, this series will tell the stories of those who are left behind in the wake of the defeat of the Syndicate worlds. I'm curious if this series will be less ship-bound and therefore feature a slightly different aspect of this setting than what fans are normally used to. Either way, this is an author I love and a series I enjoy, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

15 comments:

Rebecca said...

OK, I am totally sold on The White Forest!!! I want it now. Thanks for sharing:)

Kelsey @ Slush Sleuth said...

Haha. At first when I saw the White Forest cover I thought the girl was a bear! (I don't know... it's late and my eyes are tired, I guess). That book sounds AWESOME, though given the extreme amount of information in the summary, it looks sort of complicated. But I like how the author seems to be turning the love-triangle on it's head.

Thanks for turning me onto these! Happy WoW!

Lu said...

The White Forest sounds so good! Adding it to my list.
Happy Wednesday :)

The Muggle
-International Giveaway
-List of Giveaways/Kindle Deals

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

The white forest is new to me, but it sounds good, so I've added it to my list. Thanks!

http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday-13-adrienne-stoltz.html

Cathy De Los Santos said...

Secret societies are always interesting. Great picks. Here's my Teaser

Bob Milne said...

Nice - too great picks this week. I think I'll be adding both to my TBR pile.

Here's my WOW

Lauren DeLaCruz said...

White Forest is totally new to me and looks awesome. I've mentioned your pick on my post.

Majanka said...

I've never heard of The White Forest before but OMG does it look awesome. :) Adding this to my wishlist!

Read my WOW post.

SQT said...

Lol! I can actually see why you thought she was a bear.

SQT said...

Thanks for including me!

Vickie Ramage said...

Ooh, I really like the sound of The White Forest!

ComaCalm's Corner

Tribute Books Mama said...

The White Forest caught my eye, love the cover.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday_23.html

Tena said...

SOLD on The White Forest.... ah-mazing!!! I am going to add it to my TBR list now, thanks for sharing it with me (us).

Crazy Book Slut's WOW!

Christy @ Captivated Reading said...

Both sound very intriguing! Great picks!
My WoW

Sonythebooklover said...

Sounds pretty good thanks for sharing because I haven't heard of it before want to see m WOW follow the link.
http://sonythebooklover.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday-58/