Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Blades of Winter by G.T. Almasi
Publisher: Random House
Date: August 28, 2012
pages: 352

Nineteen-year-old Alix Nico, a self-described “million-dollar murder machine,” is a rising star in ExOps, a covert-action agency that aggressively shields the United States from its three great enemies: the Soviet Union, Greater Germany, and the Nationalist Republic of China. Rather than risk another all-out war, the four superpowers have poured their resources into creating superspies known as Levels.

Alix is one of the hottest young American Levels. That’s no surprise: Her dad was America’s top Level before he was captured and killed eight years ago. But when an impulsive decision explodes—literally—in her face, Alix uncovers a conspiracy that pushes her to her limits and could upset the global balance of power forever.

I'm actually a little torn on this one - I'm not usually a fan of alternate histories, and I feel like I was recently burned with a similar book (Shadow Ops: Control Point). At the same time, I'm a Bond/spy fan, as well as a superhero fan, and this book looks like it might have the right combination of those two genres to be something I'll really enjoy. So call me hesitantly looking forward to this one.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow
Publisher: Orbit
Date: August 2, 2012

Emma Bannon, forensic sorceress in the service of the Empire, has a mission: to protect Archibald Clare, a failed, unregistered mentath. His skills of deduction are legendary, and her own sorcery is not inconsiderable. It doesn't help much that they barely tolerate each other, or that Bannon's Shield, Mikal, might just be a traitor himself. Or that the conspiracy killing registered mentaths and sorcerers alike will just as likely kill them as seduce them into treachery toward their Queen.

In an alternate London where illogical magic has turned the Industrial Revolution on its head, Bannon and Clare now face hostility, treason, cannon fire, black sorcery, and the problem of reliably finding hansom cabs. The game is afoot..


They had me at "forensic sorceress," though I'd probably pick this up just because it's by Lilith Saincrow. Orbit is coming out with some really interesting fantasy these days!

11 comments:

ashelynn hetland said...

Blades of Winter actually sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Adding it to my goodreads to-read list now! great picks, both of you. :)

my WOW.

SQT said...

Yeah that one looks good. I'm putting it on my TBR list too (it's Jim's pick here...)

Nikki said...

I agree, I didn't get beyond "forensic sorceress" either. LOL Def adding that one to the TBR pile. Thanks for the heads up!

Nikki @ Books Most Wanted

Thomas Clementson said...

If I had to choose, and this is a difficult call, I’d have to go with The Iron Wyrm Affair because it’s a great thing anytime you can add fantasy and sci-fi to historical fiction. Sounds like an awesome read.

My WoW

@TCAbn The Motley Chronicles

Alyssa (Reader's Refuge) said...

I love Lilith Saintcrow! Iron Wyrm Affair sounds fantastic. And you're right -- forensic sorceress -- who can turn that down?

New follower. :)

Alyssa
Reader's Refuge

Bob Milne said...

Hmm, definitely going to wait for the reviews before giving Blades of Winter any consideration since Shadow Ops didn't work for me either.

The Iron Wyrm Affair does sound interesting but, having just come off The Janus Affair, I might wait a bit before doing another of these.

Tribute Books Mama said...

The Iron Wyrm Affair sounds intriguing.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/05/wondrous-words-wednesday_09.html

Aleksandra Dobnikar said...

The first... whoah what an epic badass cover!
And as when it comes to Lilith Saintcrow, she's amazing. I can't wait for that book too. :)

Aleksandra @ Divine Secrets of a Little Bookworm

Sonythebooklover said...

I TBR-ed The Iron Wyrm both good choices thanks for sharing I hadn't heard of them. Wanna see what I got follow the link ..http://sonythebooklover.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday-56/

Valery @ The Boof Of Owl's said...

Thanks for sharing. I will add them too my tbr list! :D

MyWOW

Valery The Book Of Owl's Im a new blogger so please feel free of leaving any advice or recommendation!

Elfy said...

Iron Wyrm Affair sounds interesting, shades of Pip Ballantine's and Tee Morris' Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences and that was loads of fun.