Thursday, May 03, 2012

The Great Undead War Blog Tour- Featuring Joseph Nassise

Normally I give an intro to guest posts on this blog- but Joseph Nassise does such a great job of introducing his new book "By the Blood of Heroes," while also offering some great context, that I don't really need to add anything. Enjoy! ~SQT


Welcome to The Great Undead War Blog Tour! My thanks to Theresa for having me on today.

As I mentioned in yesterday’s installment at Wicked Lil Pixie, my name’s Joseph Nassise and I’m celebrating the release of my new novel from HarperVoyager, By the Blood of Heroes, which is the first book in the Great Undead War series that combines an alternate World War One with steampunk and zombies. I’ll be talking a bit about the book and the writing process I went through to create it at each stop along the tour and today’s installment introduces the villain of the story, the Baron Manfred von Richthofen.

Historically, Richthofen was the most decorated pilot on both sides of the war with 80 confirmed kills to his name. His list of unconfirmed kills puts that number over 100. Originally trained as a cavalry man, he transferred to the air service in 1915 and quickly rose to prominence. He was in command of Jagdgeschwader 1, the Flying Circus, when he was shot down and killed near Aimes on April 21, 1918.

Except, in my version of the Great War, the battlefield where Richthofen crash lands is awash in corpse gas and the Red Baron rises anew from the wreckage of his aircraft. Rather than returning as the type of zombie known as a shambler, with only rudimentary intelligence and limited mobility, Richthofen returns as a revenant with increased senses, increased dexterity, and a significantly enhanced intelligence.

This rebirth radically changes the course of the war, for reasons that I won’t spoil for you here. Suffice to say that Richthofen grows weary of the seemingly perpetual stalemate at the Front and begins plotting ways to take the war to the Allies in an altogether new fashion. When Captain Burke is ordered to undertake his mission behind enemy lines to rescue Major Freeman, one of the secondary mission goals is to learn more about Richthofen and the secret research he is funding.

Working with a character like Richthofen was a challenge because I wanted to stay true to the historical character in certain respects while at the same time significantly altering many aspects of his personality due to his new nature as a revenant. In the end, I think I created a villain that readers can both love and despise at the same time.

Join me tomorrow at Daily Ebook Reviews for more on By the Blood of Heroes!

5 comments:

booklover0226 said...

Interesting post; I enjoyed reading it. I look forward in checking out this series.

Thanks,
Tracey D

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool. I was long interested in that character, though I guess I've kind of forgotten him over the years. This sounds pretty good, though.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Zombies are so in.

Joseph said...

Thanks all! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the support.

-Joe

SQT said...

I hope to have a chance to read this soon. Generally speaking anything the combines zombies and steampunk is a good thing, but the historical elements are very cool too.