Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire) by Kate Locke
Publisher: Orbit
Date: July 3, 2012
Pages: 368

Queen Victoria rules with an immortal fist.

The undead matriarch of a Britain where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground and mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. A world where being nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath), Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day, and leeches are considered a delicacy. And a world where technology lives side by side with magic. The year is 2012 and Pax Britannia still reigns.

Xandra Vardan is a member of the elite Royal Guard, and it is her duty to protect the Aristocracy. But when her sister goes missing, Xandra will set out on a path that undermines everything she believed in and uncover a conspiracy that threatens to topple the empire. And she is the key-the prize in a very dangerous struggle.


Everything about this book looks awesome to me- from the attitude of the cover to the idea that Queen Victoria still rules-- and you know, vampires, werewolves goblins and the plague... I'm going to get some itchy fingers waiting for this one.

Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

Hitman: Damnation by Raymond Benson
Publisher: Del Rey
Date: 7/31/12
pages: 320

Since the devastating conclusion of Hitman: Blood Money, Agent 47 has been MIA. Now fans awaiting the return of the blockbuster videogame and film phenomenon can pinpoint the location of the world’s most brutal and effective killer-for-hire before he reemerges in Hitman: Absolution. When the Agency lures him back with a mission that will require every last ounce of his stealth, strength, and undercover tactics, they grossly underestimate the silent asssassin’s own agenda. Because this time, Agent 47 isn’t just going to bite the hand that feeds him. He’s going tear it off and annihilate anyone who stands in his way.

Unlike Metal Gear Solid, this seems like a good fit for Raymond Benson. I've read some of his James Bond novels which I enjoyed, but I thought his Metal Gear Solid 2 novelization was too straightforward of a adaptation. A prequel to the upcoming videogame sounds like he'll have enough room to really create his own story. This is another videogame I'm looking forward to (like Sniper Elite v2), so the book tie-in has my attention.

19 comments:

Petra Poet said...

Cool covers! First I've heard of these. Thanks for sharing.

My WOW
Safari Poet

Michelle said...

I've just added God Save The Queen to my wishlist. Sounds great! I love when WOW helps bulk up my already out of control wishlist, lol.

My WOW

Book Slave said...

Hi there :) just popping in...
Hitman books, I've never read any of these. Love the cover though.

Here is my choice...
Waiting On Wednesday

Vanya D. said...

Hahahahahaa! Queen Victoria a vamp! That's sounds hilarious :)

my WOW

MorganvilleVampiresFan#1 said...

Awww..sounds like a pretty good book! May have to look into it and add it to my wishlist :)
You can see my WOW here to see what pre-publication book I'm 'dying' to read!
http://paranormalfantasyaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday-6-black-dawn.html

Patricia said...

HITMAN!! ASDKLJAHSDLKJHASLKDJ

Erm. Sorry. I just.. *swoons*

Patricia // My WOW

Sarah Brown said...

I really want God Save The Queen it sounds so good and is definitely on my wishlist, great pick, my wow

http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday_10.html

_annabelleh_ said...

Both of these sound amazing!

WoW Post,

Bob (Beauty in Ruins) said...

I've never been a fan of video game novels, so not sure about Hitman, but God Save the Queen is definitely on my TBR list.

Here's my WOW

Maria said...

God Save the Queen sounds great and I'm adding it to my list, I've never read a video game related book but I did enjoy the Hitman movie so I'll probably not read the book but wait to see if they make this one into a movie...lol

Here's my WoW: http://tinyurl.com/6m6qn25

Jim Haley said...

I have to say, I enjoyed the Hitman movie far more than I expected to. I actually wouldn't mind seeing another.

Fall Into Books said...

I haven't heard of either of those, but God Save the Queen sounds all kinds of awesome! Great picks!

My WoW

Tribute Books Mama said...

Two eye catching covers, great picks.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday_11.html

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

The first book sounds quite interesting!

http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday-10-ag-howard.html

roro said...

hoping to read god save the queen soon
WOW

Mariann at Belle's Book Bag said...

I haven't heard of either of these, but great covers!!
MY WoW: http://bellesbookbag.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday_11.html

Blodeuedd said...

I SO want the first one :D

Goldilox said...

God Save the Queen...Has my eye on that for a while now. Will be interesting to see if it lives up to that awesome cover!


Here's my WoW: Goldilox's WoW: Penguin Edition!

Elfy said...

I'd just about buy God Save the Queen on the cover alone.