Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books. This week we're featuring picks chosen by SQT and Jim.

 Jim's can't wait to read selection is:

 The Hammer and the Blade by Paul Kemp
 Publisher: Angry Robot
 Date: June 26, 2012
 Pages: 416

  Egil and Nix, adventurers and swords for hire, are pulled into the dark schemes of a decadent family with a diabolical secret. A fast paced adventure redolent with the best of classic sword and sorcery tales. A pair of down-at-heel treasure hunters and incorrigible rogues. Egil is a priest, happy to deliver moral correction with his pair of massive hammers. Nix is a sneak-thief; there’s no lock he cannot open, no serving girl he cannot charm. Between them, they always have one eye for a chance to make money – the other eye, of course, is on the nearest exit. Only this time the treasure they’ve thieved is an important relic of a most sinister and ancient family, who will stop at nothing to get their bloody revenge. 

Paul Kemp is an author I discovered through his Star Wars novels, and he's got a style of writing that I find it very easy to settle in with. This sounds like it's meant to be an amusing, tounge-in-cheek kind of book - you know, fun.

SQT's can't wait to read selection is:

Crewel by Gennifer Albin
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Date: October 16, 2012
Pages: 368

Incapable. Awkward. Artless.

That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.

Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.

Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight.

Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.

Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.


I feel like I'm picking a ton of YA lately, but the titles up for publication have been so inventive. This one appeals to me because it reminds me of With a Tangled Skein by Piers Anthony- a book I loved with it came out (back in 1986! Boy do I feel old). "Crewel" seems like it has a totally different take on the mythology of the Fates, but I'm definitely interested in seeing how it turns out.

16 comments:

Marla said...

I am absolutely dying to read Crewel! Macmillan has some truly awesome books coming out this year. Great choice!

My WoW Post

Patricia said...

The cover of Crewel keeps confusing me. I saw it so often now and STILL have to look twice to actually see the face. XD

Patricia // My WOW

Danica Page said...

I have to read Crewel. It looks so good. Thanks for sharing.

My WWW/WoW post

~Danica Page
Taking It One Page at a Time

Sharon ObsessionwithBooks said...

A nice WoW! I haven't heard of these books so thank-you for sharing.

My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday-4th-april.html

Vanya D. said...

Ooooh! Crewel sounds fantastic!! I'll be adding it to my list for sure!

Here's my WOW

Pocketful of Books said...

CREWEL! It had me at 'weaver'. And spinster. Sounds so awesome.

My WOW: http://pocketfulofbooksblogger.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Mariann said...

Hi,
New follower, love your site!! I have been seeing Crewel on a lot of sites but it is a new one for me. I love the cover.
Here is mine: http://bellesbookbag.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday.html
Mariann at Belle's Book Bag

We Fancy Books said...

Great picks! Crewel sounds amazing! The Hammer and The Blade looks great too!

Please drop by @ my Waiting on Wednesday post here


Jay
We Fancy Books

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

I can't wait to read Crewel! This sounds like such a different, weird (in a good way) story.

http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday-9.html

Maria said...

I love the sound of The Hammer and the Blade! I love tongue in cheek books and this definitely sounds like a good one.

Here's my WoW: http://tinyurl.com/7xk7gfp

Reve @ YA-Books.com said...

Great minds think a like! :P

My WoW for this week is Crewel, too, and like you, I'm super interested in how it turns out!

New follower here, btw :)

roro said...

the hamer and blade sounds awesome

Bob (Beauty in Ruins) said...

I just can't get into most YA fantasy . . . seems to lack the edginess I tend to look for in a novel.

The Hammer and the Blade sounds like a fun read, though. I'll definitely be picking that up.

SQT said...

I seem to be regressing- and I don't know why. I think it's the imagination that goes into the books that's attracting me. And you'd be surprised at the depth some of them have. But you do have to wade through a lot of so-so books to find the gems.

Tribute Books Mama said...

Great choices, Crewel sounds good.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Arla said...

The Hammer and Blade for my hubz and Crewel for me. Terrific! Hadn't heard of either of these titles, so I thank you for sharing and piquing my interest in yet another YA.

http://leavemommyalone.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday-3.html