Tuesday, April 24, 2012

TOR to Go DRM Free

File this under whoa!

Tom Doherty Associates, publishers of Tor, Forge, Orb, Starscape, and Tor Teen, today announced that by early July 2012, their entire list of e-books will be available DRM-free.

“Our authors and readers have been asking for this for a long time,” said president and publisher Tom Doherty. “They’re a technically sophisticated bunch, and DRM is a constant annoyance to them. It prevents them from using legitimately-purchased e-books in perfectly legal ways, like moving them from one kind of e-reader to another.”

DRM-free titles from Tom Doherty Associates will be available from the same range of retailers that currently sell their e-books. In addition, the company expects to begin selling titles through retailers that sell only DRM-free books.


As someone who reads books on various readers of different formats, I find this is a huge plus and a much appreciated convenience. I understand that DRM was conceived as a means to stop online piracy- but it seems to me that it hasn't been a huge deterrent as people will outsmart the technology fairly quickly. 

John Scalzi has already weighed in with his thoughts on the issue (very reasonable IMHO) and I look forward to seeing what everyone else has to say. 

5 comments:

Bob Milne said...

This is huge - kudos to Tor for leading the charge.

I usually buy my ebooks wherever they're cheapest, which means I often need to do some DRM workarounds to get them onto my Sony. This is great news.

Blodeuedd said...

YAY, I hate drm, sure I get why it's good, but a pirate can fix that quickly. Instead think about poor little I who can't put drm protected books if I wanted when I live far far away. So thanks TOR

Maurice Mitchell said...

"Meanwhile, the people who do spend money to support me and my writing have been penalized for playing by the rules." I can't agree with him more. It worked for Amazon music. It'll work for eBooks.

Charles Gramlich said...

Whoa, that's interesting. I wonder how much effect that will have industry wide.

SQT said...

There's been a pretty good buzz about it (mostly positive) so I'd be surprised if other publishers don't follow suit. As far as the larger impact- I have no clue. I think it's one step in the many that will be needed to adjust to new technology.