Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a blog meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books.

This weeks's can't wait to read selection is:



Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Katherine Tegan Books
May 1, 2012
496 pages

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

I enjoyed "Divergent," the first book in this series, so much that I made it the monthly selection for my book club (which trends toward Oprah-type picks) and everyone loved it. "Insurgent" should come out at exactly the right time for me to make it my next pick.



  Last week's pick:


Partials by Dan Wells
Balzer & Bray
Release date: February 28, 2012

The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out.

Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic-in-training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws have pushed what's left of humanity to the brink of civil war, and she's not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will find that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them—connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there.

Dan Wells, acclaimed author of I Am Not a Serial Killer, takes readers on a pulsepounding journey into a world where the very concept of what it means to be human is in question—one where our humanity is both our greatest liability and our only hope for survival.


There are so many reasons I'm interesting in "Partials." First, it's written by Dan Wells. Secondly it's dystopian-- which I always like. Finally, mandatory pregnancy laws... That should be interesting. Definitely one for the TBR list.

30 comments:

Mocha ღ Latte(Cupcake and a Latte) said...

0o0! The partials sounds like an excellent read. Thanks for sharing!

My WOW:http://mochalattereads.blogspot.com/2011/11/waiting-on-wednesday30.html

-Wendy from A Cupcake and a Latte: YA Reviews

Jess said...

I'm always looking for new Dystopians to reads, this one looks good.

thepamjelly said...

Ooo another dystopian! This one looks interesting! :)

Great pick!

Pam @ jellylovesbooks

The Romanceaholic said...

Sounds great! I'm on an UF kick at the moment, so now you have me anxiously awaiting this as well :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Jess
The Romanceaholic

Michael/Bookshelf Reviewer said...

I love dystopians, I really want to read this one. =]
Here is my WoW
http://thebookshelfreview.blogspot.com/2011/11/hi-everyone-for-those-of-you-who-dont.html

Carina said...

I'll definitely need to get a copy of this one once it's released. It sounds amazing. :)

Great pick,
Carina @ Fictional Distraction

Sally Bibrary said...

I agree - something about "mandatory pregnancy laws" captured my attetion too!

Sally @ Bibrary Book Lust

Giselle said...

I can't wait for Partials either! Awesome pick!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

JC Jones said...

Very interesting especially the mandatory pregnancy laws.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like a very cool idea. The partials. The general story line sounds fairly familiar though. IN these its the writing that tells.

SQT said...

Charles-- There's a lot of YA dystopian these day. I'm not sure why it's so popular. But I've read Dan Wells before, so I'm pretty sure this won't be run-of-the-mill.

A. Knight said...

I'm not really big on SF-ish books, but I'm definitely intrigued. First, you're right - the pregnancy laws is WHOA. And I like books with themes of what it means to be human. It makes for a heart-twisting read, generally. I'm also a cover slut so this book fits under my cover lust category. ;)

- Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

Sarah (The Book Life) said...

This one looks fab! I'm 50/50 on dystopian's a lot of the time, but this premise has definitely caught my interest. Great pick :0)

My WOW

Reid Kemper said...

Mandatory pregnancy laws? So I guess the virus has to do with births. That aspect reminds me of Greg Bear's "Darwin's Radio." That book won a Nebula, but it was fairly boring, in my opinion. It looks like "Partials" will be more exciting.

Lindsay Cummings author said...

I cannot stop thinking about this book!! looks so awesome

I have a couple WOW picks this week! :) stop by?!

http://www.lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

Sharon @ Obsession with Books said...

This book sounds amazing! A great pick.

My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

Kai @ Amaterasureads said...

I've had this on my wishlist for quite some time now. I think the cover is just fab, but the story's what really grabbed my attention!

Check out my Wow picks this week!

Kathy Ann Coleman said...

Yes, there is definitely a lot going on here that has me interested, too. I also love dystopians so this will likely be a must read. :) Thanks for sharing.

Moirae(thefates) book reviews said...

Great picks!

http://moiraethefatesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/11/waiting-on-wednesday-4.html

Jan von Harz said...

Partials sounds fantastic and I am definitely excited about Insurgents. Great picks!

thetravelingreader said...

Dystopians are a rising trend among readers of YA. I'm also looking forward to Insurgent. Partials sounds intriguing, too. Great picks! :)

If you're not too busy, maybe you can check out my WoW post for this week:

http://thetravelingreader.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/waiting-on-wednesday-4/

Thanks! ;)

Guen the Random Girl (Ezine of a Random Girl) said...

Two great dystopian books! I can't wait for both of them, especially Insurgent! Great picks this week! :D

My WoW

Guen @ Ezine of a Random Girl
If you don't mind checking out, there's a contest to win a signed copy of Nightshade by Maryrose Wood

Giselle said...

OOOoh! I'm excited for both of these! I can't wait to see what's going to happen in Insurgent!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

GF Book Mom said...

Sounds really exciting.
Here's my Post

Allison said...

I thought Divergent was great! It is so often compared to the Hunger Games, but I enjoyed it way more. I will certainly be picking up the next one.

Allison
Geek Banter

Maria Behar said...

Hi! I've just become a follower. Both of these sound like absolutely EXCITING books!! I have DIVERGENT, but have yet to read it. So this sequel should be a great follow-up! As for PARTIALS, I've never heard of it before, but the synopsis looks very, very interesting!

Thanks for featuring these books!!

Maria @ http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/

Brenna said...

YAY I'm so excited for both of these! Divergent was definitely in my top 10 this year, and I can't wait to see how this one turns out :) And the Partials sounds really interesting too!

My WoW at Esther's Ever After

Truly Bookish said...

I want both of these books, they look amazing and I loved Divergent. Great picks!
NC
Truly Bookish

Tribute Books Mama said...

They both sound like good pics, enjoy!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/waiting-on-wednesday_09.html

Grace Fonseca said...

I think every blogger on the planet wants Insurgent. Partials sounds very interesting. Come visit me as well.

Livre De Amour-Books of Love Blog