Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"John Carter" -- Official Trailer (Updated to Include Second Trailer)





Plot Synopsis: John Carter of Mars is inexplicably transported to the mysterious and exotic planet Mars, and becomes embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions and discovers that the survival of the planet and its people rests in his hands.

John Carter is a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). John Carter is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.


I haven't read the series of books written by Edgar Rice Burroughs, on which this movie is based, but there's something to be said for a movie that has source material going back to the early 1900's. I hear that many movies made since then borrow from Burroughs' books, but I'll ignore all those other movies and try to enjoy this based on its own merits.

7 comments:

Scott said...

This is the old trailer.

The new trailer debuts later today.

Just a heads up. :D

Oh, and the books are EXCELLENT!

SQT said...

Scott-- I heard that. But I couldn't find the new one yet. I'll post when I see it.

Michael Offutt, Expert Critic said...

I think that you may already know this seeing as you are a sci-fi expert, however, I thought it was interesting that Walt Disney corporation came out stating that if this movie does not break the $750 million mark, it will not get a sequel.

It sparked some debate on the forum I first saw it on because people were saying that there are only a handful of movies that break that profit margin. For Disney just to outright demand it or they won't greenlight another led many to say that this would be the only John Carter movie, period.

SQT said...

Michael-- I didn't know that. Not much of an expert am I?

That is an awfully high benchmark. I wonder what happens if it makes $700 million-- that's not high enough? I would be interesting to do a comparison to other Disney films that warranted sequels and see what they made. A quick look shows that the first "Pirates" movie didn't make $700 mil and it has 3 sequels. Why the bias against John Carter?

SQT said...

HERE'S an article that says it has to hit $700 million.

Elfy said...

George RR Martin and Melinda Snodgrass tried to get this off the ground as a movie many years ago (it was one of Melinda's favourite books), but pulled out of the project when one of the studio execs starting misnaming the lizardlike mounts as 'throats', inst4ead of thoats. I wasn't greatly impressed by the book, but I can see it translating well to screen.

Maurice Mitchell said...

The books are amazing and the movie looks nothing like I imagined. not alien enough. I have to admit the trailer looks one billion times better than I thought it would.