Sunday, November 28, 2010

Is Christopher Nolan Finished With Batman?

Christopher Nolan's reboot of the Batman story is one of the few things that can turn me into a genuine fangirl. So when I saw headlines that Christian Bale was leaving the franchise after the third installment ("The Dark Knight Rises") of Nolan's series I was honestly disappointed. But then I read the story, and not just the headlines, and I was even more disappointed.

~From Slice of SciFi

Christian Bale says the upcoming movie “The Dark Knight Rises” will be the last time he dons the cape and cowl as Batman.

“I believe, unless Chris (Nolan) says different, this will be the last time I’m playing Batman,” he tells Total FilmTotal Film.

As for the rumors on who will be the adversary Batman faces off with in the next film, Bale says he puts no stock in the rumors floating around.

“Until Chris tells me, I don’t believe it,” Bale says. “It’s gotta be from his mouth, or else I don’t really know. Chris will let me know what I need to know when I need to know it. I probably know a little bit more than some other people out there, but I think most people would be surprised at how little I do know.”

“It just hasn’t been necessary yet. I know he’ll give me plenty of time to prepare for whatever I need to, and I’ll discover it,” he adds. “He’s a pretty damn good filmmaker. I trust that he’s going to come up with something wonderful.”



Say it ain't so!

The worst part of this story isn't the possibility that Nolan will wrap up the Batman story with the third film. No, the worst part is that Hollywood will not be able to just leave well enough alone when Nolan says he's done with it.

I mean, look at what they're doing to Buffy...

7 comments:

Abby Minard said...

Oh yes, quite pissed about the Buffy issue. I may be putting my foot in my mouth, but honestly, if you are a true Buffy fan, you are a Whedon fan. And any Buffy without him is not worthy of being made. (And the cast as well- someone other than SMG as Buffy? Nope.). There will be a backlash from true fans of Buffy.

About the batman thing- I loved Christian Bale as Batman, but I can see it ending after three. They don't want to draw it out too much. But again, making more movies when those guys have bailed out? Not a good idea.

I wish the industry could know when to leave well enough alone. Okay done with my rant! Sorry to take over your comments like a crazy person!

SQT said...

Abby-- Lol! I'm always happy to see when someone else feels as strongly as I do about stuff.

The Buffy thing is ridiculous. There's no good reason to do a remake so soon after the series ended. The comparisons are inevitable and no one is likely to like the newer version better than the original. And you're right. It belongs to Whedon. I have not heard one person who is happy about the Buffy remake.

As far as Batman goes. I trust Nolan to know what he's doing with the story. If he wraps it up, then that means he doesn't feel there's a need to keep going. It's definitely better to go out on top and if the third one is as good as the other two, it'll be the best comic-book franchise ever. I will be seriously pissed if someone else comes in and tries to continue the series once Nolan walks away.

Charles Gramlich said...

Every bat has his day.

Jessica said...

That's the problem with Hollywood they want to make money not get the job done well for the fan's. If you like Buffy no one but Whedon can or should do it I mean really.

If Nolan steps back then drop it don't make more and end up with crap.

Hollywood never knows when enough is enough.

Budd said...

can they get PeeWee to reprise his role?

SQT said...

Budd-- Don't give them any ideas.

Carl V. said...

I'm not really disappointed by this as it means there is a good chance Nolan and Bale can leave a really good solid trilogy rather than going so long that it will wear out its welcome. But, as you indicated, I wish after that they would leave it be. I don't trust Hollywood to do that.