Saturday, August 21, 2010

You ever have those days?

You know, the one where you find out your brother has Dengue Fever? Yeah.... I had that day today. My brother lives in Thailand so he's at much higher risk than we would be to a mosquito borne infections. Anyway, being the lucky guy he is, he picked a really bad form of the disease and has Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever. It has low fatality rate as long as patients are treaded in the hospital and my brother is currently being transferred to they best one they have that's nearest to him so he can be under constant care. It sounds as if the prognosis will be good.

But how often do you get a call that a loved one has Dengue Fever? Not often, that's for sure. I'm still trying to figure out if I should be worried or not. I guess I'll let you know when I figure out how panicked I should be.

If anyone has an info on the fever, please pass it on. Anything to make us feel like we know what we're dealing with would be great.

Sorry if this is a rambling kind of post. My mom called late and I'm kind of rheumy. So, apologies for all the typos. 

9 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

I am so sorry to hear about your brother! I know next to nothing about Dengue Fever except I though you got it in Africa (and, apparently, I am wrong in that assumption.) I'm sure that the modern medical care will get him back to health, although with something like that it might take a while to get back to normal/100%.

SQT said...

@Writtenwyrdd- Thanks! I'm sure he'll be fine. It's just..weird. I guess it spreads along the south in the U.S. when it's hot and humid too, though rarely. I was hoping someone had had some idea what the heck this is.

BStearns said...

I'm sorry to hear that. He's going to be fine, he will be taken good care of, and will be up and running before you know it! Fret not!

SQT said...

@Bryan-- My sister-in-law said they talked to him this morning and he sounded good. Low white blood count, which is common with this. Not sure what the treatment is, but if he sounds good I'm sure he'll be fine.

Thanks!

lingeorge said...

I just "Googled" it and there is quite a bit of information out there -- give it a try.

SQT said...

@lingeorge-- Yeah, there's lots of info online. I just thought someone might have some first-hand experience. You never know...

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's Ben1xy, one of the bloggers for your site. I reside in Singapore which is pretty close to Thailand. Dengue is quite a common occurence in Southeast Asia and the medical staff here are well trained in dealing with the disease.

In most cases, the patient isn't really given much medication. What they are given is plenty of fluid to prevent dehydration. In some cases they might need intravenous fluids. The nurses will also frequently check-in to monitor all the vital signs.

My aunt had dengue 3 years back and she was out within a week. It might sounds scary as it's not a common ailment but in Southeast Asia it's more pravalent. So, don't worry too much. Everything will be fine. Do keep us updated :)

-Ben

Wilson said...

Yep pretty much common here in Fiji as well. It's a tropical thing :P

The funny thing about dengue is as Ben1xy mentioned, it isn't a 'give medicine all ok' thing and more of a 'plenty of liquids and rest and just wait it out' thing.

I got dengue last year and that's pretty much what I did. Lots of bed rest, lots of liquids, and lots of movies :)

Your brother should be fine :) Keep us updated aye.

SQT said...

@Ben & Wilson-- Thanks! I hear my brother's doing better. He might get out of the hospital today. It helps when you can talk to people who know a bit about Dengue. My mom called me in a bit of a panic because her only experience with it was with a 19-year-old neighbor who had died from it. It's hard when you're half-a-world away, but things seem calmer now.