Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Just in Case Reading Comic Books and Dressing Up Like a Storm Trooper Wasn't Enough to Make You Happy...

I bring you the "Iron Man" athletic shoe...for adults. I had no idea that comic-book character inspired footwear was such a big thing. The picture I have here is a custom line of "Iron Man" War Machine footwear that will cost you a cool $400 if you buy them off Ebay. The picture I have below is the more scaled-down version-- those will only run you about $250. Because, you know, character footwear isn't just for kids anymore. Somehow I totally missed this phenomenon. I regularly buy shoes for my son that feature "Spiderman" or the "Transformers," but did you know that people will pay big bucks to have their ordinary sneakers hand-painted to look like a souped-up version of the shoes I buy for my son at Target? Neither did I? Here are a few samples. There's a whole world of athletic shoes out there I was completely unaware of! Nike also appears to be the brand that specifically caters to the buyers of these shoes with a whole line of comic-book shoes. I had a whole post written in my head about modern society and our hesitancy to grow up.... But I couldn't stop trying to find more pictures of shoes. Maybe I'll write that post tomorrow...

4 comments:

Sullivan McPig said...

I must say I'm not surprised shoes like that are out there. I do think however that there won't be lots of actual running in these shoes.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At that price, when would you wear them?
Damn, my shoes seem so boring now...

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm not surprised there are such shoes, but a bit surprised that anyone other than 6 year olds buy them.

Budd said...

It would be cheaper just to buy a pair of Nike shoes and take them to your local mall airbrush guy and have him paint them with whatever you want.

But those are really cool.
SciFi Media