Sunday, January 17, 2010

Thinking About Comic Books

I don't know how to feel about the upcoming "Green Lantern". The issue is that a superhero is a hard sale. The ones who have made the best jump to screen are the ones who have the strongest grounding in reality and science fiction. Batman, Iron Man, The Hulk (in the most recent version) were strong because the writers and directors understood that the people want action, character, and to be able to suspend their disbelief. The adaptations of The Fantastic Four and Superman haven't fared as well. And why should they? Fox's "The Fantastic Four" was an absurd adventure, almost an apology to popular culture for its comic book roots. Warner's "Superman" hasn't been able to move past its origin episode, with "Superman Returns" being nothing more than a remake of the first film. And "Green Lantern"? Hey...this Cold War comic book managed to evolve into an intriguing story about intergalactic adventure, with a number of civilizations banding together to maintain order in the universe. Sort of a cosmic "Federation" without Spock and Kirk. However, like Spiderman III, this film has potential to be absurd. I pray the director focuses on the science fiction and avoids the pitfall that Fantastic Four succumbed to. Check out this fan made trailer...it presents both what the real director should reach for and at the same time some of the elements the director would do well to avoid. And hey....at least it's not Star Trek 90210 (or The Abomination, as I like to call it) And one last thing.....beware Zagreus

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I liked the almost Space opera qualities of the Green Lantern comic so I might be into this.

Harry Markov said...

Mhm, this is a really hard sell as far as effects go. I am intrigued that Nathan Filion is on this one, but otherwise I think it won't be a good movie.

SQT said...

I find my impression of this almost exactly echoes Harry's. I have a mad crush on Nathan Fillion, but the CGI looked off. I fear this will head into "Fantastic Four" territory.

Harry Markov said...

Yes, the CGI just gave me the wrong kind of shivers. :(