Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Hits

See this picture? It drives more traffic to my blog than anything else I have ever posted. Nothing I have written in the last three years, since I posted this picture in a post about female action heroes, has gotten a fraction of the attention this one picture has. That's right. Sigourney Weaver in underwear is more compelling than any movie trailer or picture of Angelina Jolie that I have posted. I get hundreds of hits on this picture every week. Google images has done more for this blog than anyone. I also believe that this picture has convinced a few people that I have some writing skills. I have gotten a few offers from other blogs to write articles for them and they always, always cite the "Female Action Hero" post. Do you suppose they stumbled on the blog by searching for Sigourney? Interestingly, another picture on that same post also drives a significant amount of traffic to my blog. Another old-school beauty in the form of Linda Carter as Wonder Woman. She is lovely isn't she? But who knew that so many people out there were still so interested in women who made their start in the 70's ("Alien" was released in 1979 and "Wonder Woman" aired from 1975-79)? Or is it just the costumes and not the particular women wearing them? Probably a combination of both. Anyway. Maybe I need to post more pictures of scantily clad women. Just thinking out loud.

8 comments:

Sullivan McPig said...

egh.... I do hope the people who ask you to write for them base their request on more then these pics. I for one started following your blog for other reasons then ladies in underwear.

Scott Marlowe said...

I've had a similar phenomenon with a post where I added a picture from Jurassic Park. I couldn't figure out why the post was getting so much more attention until I dug into my search stats and there it was.

I wonder what I pic of Sigourney might do to my site's traffic...

furiousBall said...

Linda Carter in Wonder Woman outfit = unbelievable. All of those extra hits might have just been me. :)

Kate S said...

I wonder what would happen if you posted Carrie Fisher in her Princess Leia metal bikini costume? :)

Charles Gramlich said...

I don't think I've ever posted a pic of a scantily clad woman. But now I will. I do like that Sigourney pic. Interestingly, she's not a very sexy woman to me in many ways, but she was in that final scene of Alien. Perhaps the vulnerability, or just her sheer acting talents.

weenie said...

But who knew that so many people out there were still so interested in women who made their start in the 70's ("Alien" was released in 1979 and "Wonder Woman" aired from 1975-79)?

Guys (and maybe some women) in their 40s would have idolised women like Signourney and Lynda when they were kids - maybe this gives you some info on the ages of visitors to your blog? :)

A few years back, I went to a movie memorabilia convention - you should have seen the hordes of men surrounding the table where Erin Gray, aka Colonel Wilma Deering from the 80s Buck Rogers tv series, was sitting signing autographs.

Stewart Sternberg said...

I could post a comment here..I could discuss the physicality of the two women, detail the sociospychological appeal and impact of the presentation of both outfits. I could discuss the manifestation of sexuality through certain visual cues that would immediately appeal to the average male viewer.........but if I just said nothing, knowing me, it would be more effective than me saying anything at all. So......here is my silence...
...
...
...
..
...
...
thanks

Carl V. said...

Those are both great reasons to stumble across your blog, in my opinion! :) Who can forget either of these iconic women in these roles? But I'm more thrilled that you have the writing chops to keep people coming back without having to resort to hormones. ;)