Sunday, November 29, 2009

Anonymous Review of "Avatar" says it's "vomit inducing"

Sorry I haven't been around the last few days. I'm still recovering from my Thanksgiving food coma. But I came across this article that seems to have the same qualms about James Cameron's Avatar and it's heavy reliance on CGI. And it now appears that an anonymous reviewer who has seen large portions of the film doesn't like the computer generated effects either. I watch a lot of movies, and am especially obsessed with watching horrible films with inflated budgets. I was delighted to find that Avatar didn't disappoint in the absolutely horrible fetishizing of azure humanoids that James Cameron has obviously been drawing on the back covers of his notebooks since middle school and secretly getting off to in the gym locker room. The new technology they've been using to eliminate the headaches and sickness conducive to old 3D tech has not been used properly in the action scenes throughout Avatar. The problem is with cutting in between 3D focal points and perspective - the mind cannot adjust to it without a buffer - thus, Avatar is literally vomit inducing. But the movie itself, the story/acting/tone are alienating and weird. Of course there are very beautiful moments, with great editing/sound/art direction, but overall it's a horrible piece of sh**. The entirety of the Hollywood marketing machine is behind it, however, so it's going to make a boatload (eh I could slip a Titanic ref. whatever) of money. I don't know if this is the real deal. But if it is, the more than $200 million that has been spent making this movie could make Waterworld (Kevin Costner's mega bomb) look like a roaring success. We'll know soon enough.

7 comments:

Rhiannon Hart said...

Good god. 200 million for vomit!

SQT said...

Rhiannon--Lol! This could be ugly.

Carl V. said...

I definitely won't be rushing out to see it, as much because of my own concerns about the film as the fact that I'd rather spend the money on Christmas presents. If for some reason it turns out to be an amazing, 'must see' film I might change my mind. I'm not holding my breath.

SQT said...

Carl-- it really will depend on the review for me. I'll have to hear raves before I'll spend the money to see it in the theater.

Tracy Falbe said...

When I first watched the trailer for this movie I thought it seemed pretty compelling. I liked the set up of conquering a world inhabited by natives to take some important mineral or whatever it was. So very true to life. But then I noticed the movie was being advertised on the Cartoon Network, which made me worry that it was going to be all kiddie level. Like everyone else, I guess I'll wait for those opening weekend reviews.

writtenwyrdd said...

I love that review! It describes what I expect from the movie--long on special effect, short on, story, plot and redeeming value.

SQT said...

Writtenwyrdd-- There's a reason people are calling this Smurfs in space.