Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Rundown

Okay, my birthday weekend is officially over and I no longer have an excuse to procrastinate on my blogging. Before I go back to my regular programming though, I have to tell you about my weekend. I almost ended up with a new puppy... The weekend started out with my husband announcing that he was taking me away for a surprise trip on Friday with a mysterious activity planned for Saturday. Cool. I love surprises. So I pack my bags and we leave on Friday and end up in Napa. Great! I love wine almost as much as I love surprises. Friday night was mellow and we had dinner and margaritas at nice Mexican restaurant when hubby tells me that we have to be up at 5:00 the next morning. Uh. 5am you say? I am not a morning person, but hey, I'll go with the flow if it's in the name of a surprise. So I get my groggy behind out of bed the next morning, play a little Mafia Wars to wake up (it's a disease I tell you) and we end up at a little general store and I find out that we're going on a hot-air balloon ride. Sweet! I've had quite the list of airborne experiences, including a blimp and a KC-135 refueling stratotanker (for a story I did when I worked at "Real-TV), a helicopter--even para-sailing, but I had yet to go up in a hot-air balloon, so I was excited. It was a beautiful morning and the balloon ride was great. The sky was so clear you could see all the way into San Francisco and when we were done we headed back into town for a champagne brunch. We didn't stay to tour any wineries, though hubby offered, because I was tiiiiiired. I decided to nap at the hotel before heading home and then hubby surprised me with a party at my in-laws house-- including a martini bar. Nice. I don't tend to get hangovers, but I admit to feeling a bit queasy on Sunday. Monday morning, my official birthday, hubby offers to stay home so I can sleep in while he takes my daughter to school. Is he a man after my heart or what? My son is in kindergarten so he doesn't go to school until 11:00. Even I can drag my mildly hung-over rear end out of bed by then, so we took the little dude to school together and as we head back to the car I hear my husband exclaim "where did you come from" as he bends over and picks up a Yorkshire Terrier puppy. Oh my goodness. How could someone lose a Yorkie? The dog doesn't have a collar, and thinking at first that the puppy might have jumped out of someone's car, hubby and I wait around and see if someone claims the dog. Nope. Having found a few stray dogs in my day, I suggest we look around the neighborhood and see if there are any open gates and knock on those doors. We only find one open gate and no one is home. Not finding anyone who seems to know anything about the dog we go home and print off a bunch of fliers and go back and paste them all over the neighborhood-- even putting one under the doormat of the home with the open gate. We're sure that someone will call by the end of the workday. No one does. By this time hubby is starting to like the dog. He is a sweet puppy.... We call my mother-in-law, who just happens to have two Yorkshire Terriers already, and the first thing out of her mouth is "I'll take him!" But hubby tells her that if no one claims him, we're keeping him. News to me, but I can live with it. The dog is amazingly calm for a pup. My dog and cat aren't real sure what to make of the situation though, surprisingly there is no hissing or barking at the new arrival. My son likes the dog, though he is dismayed at the dog's tendency to "hug" him all the time. Yeah. Not neutered. Like all puppies, the dog is a lot like having a new baby around and it takes me awhile to get him settled, though I finally got him to sleep in my dog's kennel so I wouldn't have to worry about him wandering around all night. He yipped a bit, but ended up doing okay. My dog was pretty thrilled at being free for the night and began to consider the advantages of having another dog around. The cat was still not thrilled. Morning comes and still no phone call. I take the dog to the local vet to see if he has a microchip -- nope. Hubby begins to consider naming the dog. Then, around noon, I finally get a phone call from someone who sounds a lot like the owner of a lost dog. Yep, the description fits and I'm pretty sure I'm back to having one dog. Turns out, they live only 4 doors away from us, though the dog was a good mile away and had crossed some very busy intersections. The owner almost cried when she picked up the dog. She gave me a reward and when I tried to give it back she waved me off saying "most people would have kept the dog." She has no idea. Heck, I think I had half a dozen people offer to take the dog from me in just 24 hours. But it's all good karma and I'm glad the dog is back with his family. My son seems kind of relieved too. He keeps telling me "I don't want two dogs. I want two cats." Can't say I blame him. My cat purred and kneaded on me for at least an hour after the dog left. I swear I could hear her saying we don't need another dog..... My husband, who really isn't a pet person, misses the dog and is considering asking them if they're going to breed the dog. But I suspect this will pass. All in all a nice weekend (and isn't he cute? Real picture of the dog). I promise to announce the winners of some over-due contests tomorrow. Right now, I'm drinking the last of my birthday champagne, dreading the number of hours at the gym that will be required to work all this alcohol off. Oh well. You only turn 40 once.

4 comments:

RD Williams said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

DesLily said...

Happy Birthday "T" !!

aww.. too cute the puppy, and I bet her mama was more than happy for her return!!

ColleenFL said...

Sounds like an interesting birthday weekend! Happy belated birthday!

Pissenlit said...

Wow, what an exciting birthday weekend!