Monday, September 21, 2009

Nathan Fillion....How Do I Love Thee

Okay, maybe love is a strong word. After all, I don't even know the man. But the new season of Castle started tonight and it's one of the few network shows I actually like. "Castle" isn't a scifi/fantasy show, but Nathan Fillion will be familiar to Joss Whedon fans who recognize Fillion as Mal Reynolds of Firefly. I still miss that show. Anyway, I just got done watching "Castle," and despite the fact that it is a fairly predictable TV show that could have been written by a hack like James Patterson, I still like it and that is almost entirely attributable to Fillion. The premise of the show is that pop fiction novelist Richard Castle is called in to consult on a case when a murder is committed that mimics a crime in one of his books. Castle then becomes intrigued by homicide Detective Kate Beckett (Stana Katic)and decides to write a new series of books loosely based on her. Using his influence as a very popular writer, Castle convinces the mayor to allow him to follow Beckett as she works and soon shows that he has a knack for solving crime himself. Hokey, I know. But it works because Fillion is so fun to watch. Lines that could totally fall flat or seem utterly ridiculous work because he's delivering them. For example: Beckett is called to a scene in which a homicide victim has had a portion of his internal organs removed and Castle, deadpan, says "someone hated his guts!" And I didn't groan. I know! So here's to Nathan Fillion. One of the few actors who can keep me interested in a weekly series. And the fact that he's good looking has nothing to do with it at all. Really.

10 comments:

Harry Markov: daydream said...

I liked this guy back from "Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place", which sis still airing here by the way. He is a very funny dude and I liked him even more, when he did his Captain Hammer routine at Doctor Horrible's blog. Quite a blast with him. I haven't had the time to watch Castle however.

Charles Gramlich said...

Eh? I don't believe I even know who this is.

SQT said...

Harry, I never watched that show. Now I wish I had. We don't get that one in reruns.

Charles, I'd say I'm not surprised but, you didn't watch "Firefly?"

Annette said...

You have summed up my thoughts on Mr. Fillion perfectly.

He could read the phone book and I'd tune in :)

Cara Powers said...

Loved Firefly and Serenity. I enjoy Castle. James Patterson is a total hack and becoming more so every day. I think other people are actually writing all these novels lately. He's just putting his name on them so they'll sell.

Emily Cross said...

I absolutely love that man - since he was 'johnny' on two guys and a girl!!

And ditto on firefly - i still can't believe that series was cancelled!!

Stewart Sternberg said...

I have man-love for this guy...not soapy, dreamy, touchy man-love, but the sort of man-love where I can invite him back to the Sternberg ManCave and we eat pizza, drink beer, and talk about women....that kind of manlove. This is a charming, sardonic, engaging actor. I do wish him the best, but I miss the days of Firefly the most.

Jennifer/Connect with your Teens said...

I feel exactly the same way. I have been a big fan of Nathan Fillion's since he played Joey on One Life to Live. It is so frustrating being a fan of his because he hasn't had much luck with TV series in the past, they all get cancelled way to fast. Hopefully Castle will stay on forever. Like you, I like it, don't love it, but I will watch Nathan Fillion in anything.

Avery DeBow said...

Don't forget his hysterical turn as Captain Hammer on Dr. Horrible.

I'll watch Nathan read a phone book.

sidhevicious said...

I've been a fan since he started acting too. He's actually just as funny, charismatic and charming in real life, or at least he was way way back when I went to school with him and we hung out. I really hope Castle takes off as it really is a great show with the actors who are in it.