Thursday, August 06, 2009

R.I.P. John Hughes

A piece of my youth died today. John Hughes, writer and director of such iconic 80's films as Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Sixteen Candles and Weird Science died on August 6th from a heart attack. Though Hughes was not known for doing sci-fi, with the possible exception of "Weird Science," he could definitely be said to be a master of teenage fantasy. Perhaps I'm biased, but Hughes defined the 80's for me. I saw all of his teen-angst movies while they were in the theater and could relate to every one of them. The man had a gift for understanding that nothing was too small for the teenage mind to obsess over. Just saying the name John Hughes brings back a flurry of images: the geek holding up a pair of underwear in front of his geek friends; a group of teenagers admitting their fears and secrets during a day in detention; a high school boy playing sick so he can skip a day of school; the most popular boy in school asking the average girl out on a date... Hughes didn't only do teen films. He was also responsible for movies like Vacation, She's Having a Baby, Home Alone and Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and I loved them all. Hughes understood human nature and had a knack for making it funny. Maybe I'm strange, but the passing of John Hughes makes me feel old. Like my teenage years must be farther behind me than I realized if he's gone. But like so many people, he was taken too soon. I'll miss you Mr. Hughes and I won't forget about you

9 comments:

jmkirk said...

That is sad news! I was a teenager in the 80's and these films were great fun - Ferris Bueller's Day Off is still a favourite!

Harry Markov: daydream said...

Ah, I love Weird Science and Sixteen Candles. I rarely enjoy 80's movies, but when I find one that it's good it's real special like these two.

And you are not old. :)

Irene said...

I grew up watching and loving his films! Thanks for the tribute. He will be missed!

Michelle G said...

I love Weird Science and Sixteen Candles - but the Breakfast Club will always be my favorite. I still watch them every time they come on tv.

M

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm sorry to hear this for those who knew about Mr. Hughes. I have to admit, until all the stuff on the blogs these past couple of days, I had NO idea who this guy was. I honestly can't remember ever hearing his name. Sounds like he was an important fellow to many folks though, so my sympathies to them, and to his family.

SQT said...

Charles, I'm surprised you don't know John Hughes. "Vacation," "Home Alone," "The Breakfast Club," "Ferris Bueller's Day Off..."

His movies are iconic.

Steve Malley said...

One of the perils of dating the (near) scandalously young is hearing comments like, "John Hughes? Who's that?"

Mishel said...

I was very sad to hear about losing him. I was a late 80s baby so I didn't start watching his movies until much later. I love them though. "Pretty in Pink" I think is my favorite. Love me some duckie <3

Hey Lady! said...

I was shocked when I heard that John Hughes had died... though he'd not made a movie in more then 10 years it still felt like those movies I have loved since my childhood would never be created again. Not that the originals will go away, i guess I still hoped maybe someday he'd make another, for all of those people who have loved his work for 30 years!

Thanks for the tribute.