Thursday, June 04, 2009

R.I.P. David E. & David C.

Sad news in the world of entertainment. Two of my favorite Davids have passed away. David Eddings (1931-2009) David Carradine (1936-2009) David Eddings I had read that Eddings had passed away a couple of days ago, but I wasn't able to find any concrete sources and I didn't want to post the information until I was sure. But it has been confirmed that Eddings died on Tuesday from an undisclosed cause. Eddings was the author most responsible for getting me hooked on the fantasy genre. I was introduced to The Belgariad right when I was starting college and I was so taken with the series that I finished the series in less than a week. When he began writing The Mallorean, I was so excited and I stalked the bookstores every time a new book in the series would be released. Eddings was a very prolific author, writing more than 25 books. But I think I'll always remember him for The Belgariad and The Mallorean. His style was accessible and endearing and every time I come across a book, however rare it is, that reminds me of Edding's style I'm immediately hooked. His books will be forever entrenched in my mind as most treasured friends and I will miss him. David Carradine Originally known for is role as Kwai Chang Caine in the 70's TV show "Kung Fu," his career had a recent resurgence as the title character in Quenton Taratino's "Kill Bill" movies. Despite being a California native, Carradine became synonymous with his zen-like portrayal of Caine and in fact became an avid practitioner of martial arts in his personal life. "Kill Bill" took his well-known image as the Kung Fu master and gave it an ironic twist and cast him as the leader of a group of assassins. Carradine was a well known member of an acting family, that included brothers Keith and Robert, as well as nieces Ever and Martha Plimpton. Little is known about his death right now. He was found in a hotel room in Bangkok Thailand and the rumor is that he-- sadly-- had hanged himself. I hope that whatever pain led him to that decision is gone now and that he is resting peacefully. I'll miss you grasshopper.

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I heard about Carradine this morning but hadn't heard about Eddings. I've got several of his books but have never read them. i'm sorry to hear about both cases.

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

I hadn't heard about either passing. Sorry to hear about them both, David Carradine was a favorite with Kung Fu re-runs and Kill Bill. I hadn't read any of David Eddings books, but I'll try to locate some of them.

Dottie

DesLily said...

I've read the Belgaraid series at least 4 times.. and have others of Eddings books... i will miss knowing he's not going to ever write another

AndrewPrice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AndrewPrice said...

I have always liked Carradine, particularly in the films Cannonball and Circle of Iron. He had that kind of "cool" about him that made him a compelling screen presence.

RIP