Monday, June 01, 2009

Merlin: Coming June 21 NBC

Show Description: Merlin is an exciting fantasy series set in the mythic city of Camelot, but inspired by 21st Century storytelling. Before Merlin and Arthur became legends, they were ambitious young men looking for adventure. Both hoped to live up to their families' expectations, discover love and find their own true destiny...making mistakes along the way. This innovative, action-packed drama has cross-generational appeal and paints a picture of Merlin and Arthur's early life that audiences have never witnessed before. I'm not sure what to make of this yet ("21st Century storytelling" is not a good sign)... But I'll give it a try. Type

8 comments:

newadventuresinfantasyfiction said...

It's okay, lightweight fun. Keep in mind it's made for the early saturday evening family audience. The beeb airs it in the same timeslot as Robin Hood and Dr Who. The plot's don't bear close examination, but if you can forgive it that it's kinda fun for what it is.

Karen said...

The King Arthur love triangle always excites me but when it comes to Merlin spin-offs, not so much. I'll give it a try though.

Charles Gramlich said...

Another movie about Merlin and Arthur? Wow, they sure are popular fellows.

furiousBall said...

I'm detecting bad acting and no nominations for anything that isn't preceeded by an "MTV..." or "Kid's Choice..."

AndrewPrice said...

This looks a lot like a weak version of the Tudors, but it might be worth checking out.

newadventuresinfantasyfiction said...

I'd say it's more like an Athurian Smallville, but Smallville done for a younger audience. They play around with the set up too. Karen mentions the triangle. In this version it's a square. Arthur, Morganna, Guinevere, and Merlin. But the focus is more on adventure.

Like I said, here in the UK, it appeals to the same sort of parents and kids saturday night audience as Robin Hood and Dr Who.

RD Williams said...

Someone mentioned this to me just the other day, but I know next to nothing about it. Depending on what sort of direction the writers go they could either come up with something great, or something...well, not so great. :)

I'm not sure what to make of '21st century story telling'. What exactly do they mean by that I wonder?

Avery DeBow said...

I have a weakness for Arthurian legend, so I might give it a shot. I'll just go into it with the assumption it's lower-budget, family fun. The fact that they'll all have English accents will make it better. Nothing worse than a King Arthur that sounds like he just fell out of Southern California--except maybe a Brooklyn Merlin.